1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p2p legal in canada but what about bittorent

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by dude845, Mar 24, 2005.

1. dude845

dude845 Regular member

p2p is legal in canada, but what about bittorents i want to kmow cause i dont want to break the law, "am i breaking the law by using p2p, canadian judge said p2p is legal but not uploading, i don't upload" thanks to AN one who helps me.

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

See...that is where they trick you. ISP's will tell you hands down that downloading is ok, BUT, if someone UPLOADS from you then you will get in trouble.

That is the kicker...if there is knowone UPLOADING, how can any one DOWNLOAD.

That is why the judge says that...

BitTorrents are really cool...

If you want to have some info, go to the guides sectioni on here, and check them out!

Definately worth the look!

;)

3. dude845

dude845 Regular member

so bitttorent is legal?

4. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

These programs are legal but the files you download are not legally yours so you can't download them, with bittorent you have to upload at the same time of download so you get in trouble for uploading!

5. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Well...don't quote me on that.

Bit Torrent is not ILLEGAL, but using it for ILLEGAL purposes is.

Alot of people here, use BT clients, cause they are not P2P apps, which some say carry viruses.

This is HIGHLY debatable as you can see in some of the threads.

If, I were you, I would download whatever you want, but not keep EVERYTHING in the same shared folder. I know that sucks to here, because you definately should share.

And I am certainly not saying you are going to get caught, but if you use the BT clients, you will probably be better off than using a P2P client.

But what I said before, you can download as much as you want, but uploading is considered copyright infringement.

My advice...go ahead and use the BT if you want. It won't hurt. Believe you me, EVERYONE on here downloads ,whether it be small ones or lots of files, and everyone seems fine here. If you do get caught, you will receive a letter from your isp. But it will only just say that you initiated in copyright infringement. I got the same letter, cause someone uploaded "The Butterfly Effect" movie from me.

So, it is totally up to you really. I'd say...GO FOR IT!

;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  6. dude845

dude845 Regular member

venom did you get charged for uploading it?

7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Well...I didn't neccessarily uploaded it, somebody got it from me after I had already downloaded it.

But my isp, sent me a letter stating that they caught me with copyright infringment. All the did was suspend my internet but I just had to call them and they turned it back on.

But I wasn't charged for anything.

;)

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

no1 in the world(from what i know) has ever been charged for using bittorrent, the only people that have been charged are owners of BT search engines(suprnova, loki ect ect) and 1 unfortunate person from hong kong who was nabbed uploading a couple of movies(he was the original seeder though), sounded like scare tactics to me anyway. it all depends on your isp, some isp's will send out letters to people telling you to knock it off, others respect the privacy of their cilents and dont care what you download/upload, even if you get a letter from your isp its all scare tactics, they cant really charge you unless they take the next step....if you dont want to break the law then i'd steer well away from any file shaing at all, because technically you are breaking the law when useing any kind of system to download copyrighted material.