1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P2P Program For Private Group To Share Files?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by pneumonia, Jan 3, 2005.

1. pneumonia

pneumonia Member

Is there a program out there that allows 'friends' or 'members' only to share files? My mother's needlepoint group has files they use to exchange patterns, etc that are enormous, and there are THOUSANDS of them. They'd like to do file swapping, but have the files protected by some mechanism (these patterns mean a lot to them).

Anything simple enough to set up that doesn't require a server grade machine, or a network admin to run that has that kind of capability? The list of 'members' would be less than a hundred, small enough that it oculd be typed in easily in almost any format.

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

you could ftp them
    fast transfer protocol

I have never tried it but know it will go as fast as your connection allows

you will need another to point you in the right direction as I have no idea were to find it

or use emule/overnet/edonkey network

make the files n hash them only give the ppl you want the file that way no one else outside your neddleworkgroup would be able to access that hash file

have fun

3. pneumonia

pneumonia Member

Well, that's a good idea to hash them, but the point of my question was to allow people to use descriptive file names for their projects, and allow everyody to be able to share with everybody else.

It would be nice to be able to say "FlowersOnSilk4ColorMetalThread.xum' and use descriptive names. As I said, there ARE thousands of files, and some are very large (some are zip files with photographs of the patterns, and material lists, etc.).

FTP is built into virtually every operating system, but that would only work if we had one person that would step up and put up a webserver and host all of the files. We've tried this approach and it requires a webmaster, and constant updating.

The group is JUST to the user level of being able to zip up their files, and put them in a share folder. They know about napster, etc, and wondered why, if people could trade music, why they couldn;t trade their files. However, if you think the RIAA holds copyrights dear to them, you should see how much these women want to guard their family heirlooms! They don't want just anybody to be able to pick them up and sell them (or worse yet - MODIFY them!)

The problem is that this is TRULY a file sharing problem. EVERYBODY has something to contribute, and they only want to pick and sort through other people's files.

It's unfortunate that apparently ALL of the security in these programs is to BLOCK access rather than allow it (if there was just ONE program out there with this feature, I'd think it would be great).

Any other ideas?

4. pneumonia

pneumonia Member

DC++ appears to be the answer to my problem. It popped up in 'related links'. I'd never heard of it before, but I think it does everything I want, except work on a Mac or Linux. THIS, I can work around..

5. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

[bold]<pneumonia>[/bold]

I think Grouper might be the answer to your prayers.

http://www.grouper.com/

Some of the other people at aD and me have been playing with it for awhile.

It's easy and simple enough for the computer illiterate, but works well for more advanced users too.

It works by the founder of the group sending an email invite to others to join the group, so you could put someone with PC knowledge as the group founder and everyone else will be fine.

It should be a better solution than DC++.

Only setback is it's still currently in beta stage, but it's been in beta for ages now, so it's pretty stable.

btw, is free and ad/spyware free too.

(You'll need Microsoft's .net framework installed to run the program. The installer will install it, but it's a big dl, so your better off grabbing it off a pc magazine cover cd, maybe trading it between people on a CD or If they have Office or other Microsoft products it'll be on the discs).

6. pneumonia

pneumonia Member

Thank you! That is PRECISELY what I needed!
    It's perfect. Sorry it took so long getting back. I was out sick.

Cheers!
    Paul

7. Mopy

Mopy Guest

There is a very Rare program that was developed by Nullsoft and was tossed out. The Program is called WASTE and it extremely rare and supposebly it is now illegal to posses becausae it was a leaked by the programmer through the website You used to be able to download it from www.nullsoft.com/free/waste

This program creates a private very secure network of up to 50 people which you can IM, chat ,download and upload files with trusted users.

8. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

Yep, Waste is another secure (extremely secure!) group P2P app. But I'd only recommend it to the advanced user. At the moment it's just not practice to the average user, let alone a group of ladies trading needlepoint stuff.

Glad that helped you, Paul.