1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P4 3.2 with Hyperthreading running at 2.8

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by papola, Dec 29, 2007.

1. papola

papola Member

Hi,

I've had my CPU(Pentium 4 640 3.2Ghz with HT) for about 2 years.
    Just out of curiosity I ran CPU-Z and found out core speed was 2810MHz. The bus speed is 200MHz with a rated bus speed of 800MHz. Do you think I don't have my mobo utilized right? Or that my CPU lifespan is getting low?
    My mobo is Asus P5LD2-Deluxe.

Here's part of the CPU-Z log.

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
    Number of cores 1
    Number of threads 2 (max 2)
    Name Intel Pentium 4 640
    Codename Prescott
    Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)
    CPUID F.4.3
    Extended CPUID F.4
    Core Stepping N0
    Technology 90 nm
    Core Speed 2809.9 MHz (14.0 x 200.7 MHz)
    Rated Bus speed 802.8 MHz
    Stock frequency 3200 MHz
    Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
    L1 Data cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
    L2 cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID/VID Control yes
    FID range 14.0x - 16.0x
    VID range 1.116 V - 1.420 V

Thanks.

2. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello,

It looks like your mboard is using not optimal settings, happens quite a lot. First I would go to the asus site and upgrade any and all drivers for the mboard ie flash the bios, chipset, any onboard things you might have but bios and chipset are most important.

Then go into the bios and somewhere in there (usually in the same section as where you can set the memory multiplier and fsb manually) there should be an option called something like "optomize settings" or "optomize default settings" or something, do that and see if your settings change, often that will set it for you ok.

If not, just set the fsb and the multiplier settings yourself. At the moment you have it running at 2800 mhz because multipler = 14 and FSB = 200. Multiplier X FSB = Your cpu clock speed, so here you can see that 14 X 200 = 2800, hence your 2.8 (roughly) ghz p4. Boards usually only allow certain multiplier and fsb settings so to get 3200 you might have to play around, for instance I think it would usually be an FSB of 800mhz and a memory multiplier of 4, this would be 800mhz X 4 = 3200mhz (3.2ghz).

Give it a whirl.

3. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Wouldnt his multi be locked?

4. LDee

LDee Regular member

Yes I think you are right and it will be locked (having just googled), there are some p4's that allow you to lower the multiplier but I think none of them are on prescott 478. Well, some sites are saying with certain boards you can...?

If the multiplier has to remain at 14 then an fsb of around 230 should bring it to 3200.

5. papola

papola Member

I have socket LGA 775 not 478 if that helps. Sorry I haven't replied, haven't got around to try it yet. I'm going to boot now and do what was suggested and I'll let you know if it worked out.

6. papola

papola Member

Hmm...

Just noticed while running CPU-Z,my core speed jumps around from 2.8 to 3.2 then back down to 2.8. I notice that my multiplier jumps from x14 to x16 and back down. My voltage goes from around 1.328V to around 1.424.

So I booted into BIOS and realized I had set it to "automatic" cpu clock speed.

But that got me thinking... Either my core voltage is too high or my CPU is overheating?

I have a zalman cpu fan/heatsink (don't remember what model but its definitely a higher end model.) Applied thermal paste 7-8 months ago. Is it time to re-apply?

Thanks for you help.

7. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

That will be a power saving feature that slows things down when your computer is idle and gives full throtle when needed. I guess that means the multiplyer is unlocked to a certain degree.

8. LDee

LDee Regular member

Oh yes, that is a power saving feature. Try disabling C1E and EIST in your bios (might be in the advanced section, sometimes you have to press a special key combo to open the advanced section, I don't know about asus boards sorry), I think that should stop it bringing it down.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Disable EIST in the advanced settings in your BIOS. EIST can lower your multiplier when your CPU is idling to save power and create less heat.