1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p4 531+ help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hanna21, May 26, 2007.

1. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

i just assembled my p4 and removed amd the problem is when i boot up with p4 when its about to come to windows loading screen it restarts
    why theres somthing wrong theres about 24 pin for power supply on the board and i have a 20 pin supply i pluged it in power works i just dont understand why it restarts i need help quickly please i am usin this motherboard look http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MBB-RC419

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

go to the bios and check the temperature

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is the 4pin connector on the motherboard connected to the psu? what is the wattage of your psu?

4. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

hanna again i have the manual for the motherboard i just read about chasis 2 pin when i turned my pc on it goes of because the pc nose that
    my cover is open so guys what do u think about this if i close the lid will it work.......

about the temp in bios it says all ok.
    everytime i turn on my pc with cover open it boots then when its about to go to windows loading screen it restart automaticly what u guys got in ming whats the problem here thats my first time am experiencing this

5. ddp

is there a cable that goes to that connector?

6. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

no cable anyway i tried closing the cover still same problem wwhen it comes to windows loading screen it restarts whyyyyyyyy
    i connected everything good whats the problem

7. ddp

is the windows a fresh install on that computer or did it come off another pc?

8. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

basicly my hdd has winxp running on it it runsok on my amd board but when i plug it in on p4 motherboard it restarts on windows loading screen
    i eveen tried reinstaling but when its about to load from cd it restarts

9. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

could it be my power supply because i have 20 pin and on motherboard its 24 i only miss out 4 pin when i insert the 20 pin

10. ddp

2 things, do you have the 4 pin connector from psu connected to the motherboard besides the 20pin connector? 2nd thing as you are using same hd with xp for the amd which is probably uses different chipset from the intel board, that xp is basically barfing so you have to do a fresh install of xp.

11. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

yes i have the 4 pin and anyway normally i dont realy have to reinstall it should work building pc is simple right put proccesor in fan on top wiring and thats it it should work i dont that even i tried reinstalling when it says boot from cd i press any button after that it just restarts again why

12. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

another thing i wanna say like i said it brand new proccer and motherboard i put thermal cream on proccesser then fan on topwhen i turn my pc on on the bios menu i go to cpu temp i se temp is going up and up max geos up to 81 celsius then i turn pc of the touch the fan its hot why i put the cream on fans running

13. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Hi, wait a moment!! you are using the mobo without the 4 extra pin neccesary for its proper functioning!? If its that correct the problem immediately, you can easily find a 20 to 24 pin adapter so that you wont have to change PSU. Remember those 24 pin on the motherboard are made for a reason, so its not safe and really not recommended to use a mobo that way. Remember follow the motherboard instructions and connect any other cables from the PSU if neccesary (it is probabble that you have to connect an extra 4 pin cable, to another connection in the mobo. its apart from the 24 pin).

About the temperature for the processor (81celcius), those are really hot temperatures and they are not between the safe of limits of P4 use. You should check if your are propertly placing your fan on the Motherboard, and dont exagerate putting extreme amounts of thermal paste on top of the processor that may affect heat exchange too.

To make a long story short:
    -Connect the 24 pin cable, neccesary for proper Mobo function. Also if the mobo needs it connect an extra 4 pin cable.
    -Check the positioning of your CPU fan, and make sure there is just enough thermal paste for the proper heat exchange or your CPU.

-Suppy with more information about your Build, Exact procesor #, speed, what kind of fan you are using for the pc, and very importantly wattage and brand of your PSU.

14. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

paztelu

thanks i love your guide and it understandable i like the way u xplain mate just let me go buy a 24 pin adapter and try it out that could be the problem my fan is connected properly its just that my motherboard has a 24 pc look this is my mother board modle number GA-8I915MD-GV

go there and se it the power supply input is 24 pin and am using a amd 20 pin connecter the power comes on on p4 but restarts becuae i might need a 24 pin input connecter

could u also tell me if this mother board ok for good gaming performance with all texture enabled

15. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

hanna here i wanna say somthing about this mother board i broke it into peacis its in the bin i got new motherboard with onboard agp and pci exress working 40 cel temp is that good i have a geforce 7300gt is that good for gaming to please tell me since i like playing games with full graphics setting on with good performance

16. ddp

40c is alright

17. hanna21

hanna21 Guest

now its 35 celcius and i wanna say is geforce 7300gt pci express 256mb
    is this good for gaming

18. ddp

depends on your games so check game sites for faq's