1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

packard bell upgrade help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by roachie, Jan 21, 2007.

1. roachie

roachie Member

Hi all back once again thanks all who helped me last time with my hdd upgrade i have now sucessfully upgraded my hdd to a 80gig maxator diamond 20 with no problems at all.

So now i want to do some more upgradeing i wanna upgrade my processor to summit a lil faster but not sure what to buy or where.I am after a uk company so heres my specs at present

i have in my system at present

maxator 80gig hdd
    256 pc100 sd ram (soon to be 512)
    701mhz processor

and im not 100pc sure but this is a scan with belarc advisor i think i read from the right place
    my mobo is Gigabyte i810 1.3A .

and also if i was to buy a 80 wire ata cable would it go into the blue slot on my motherboard?.

many thanks to all of you for past help and any ideas would be greatfully recived and im not looking for anything expensive just cheap as im currently saving up for a new pc.

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Depending on the spec limits of the machine, it's possible that it may only go up to a 1GHz processor. As far as the memory, possibly 512 or 1GB.

3. roachie

roachie Member

Thanks alot so what would i have to look at sorry im a bit duped when it comes to looking at processors and motherboards lol.Once i learn im ok but thank you ever so much for the help i much appriciate ne help given

Rocahie

Peace

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Use a program called CPU-Z. Post the pics or information here on the motherboard, CPU, and memory. From there, we'll look up your board info on the net and you'll be able to know it's limits.

5. roachie

roachie Member

Hi thanks alot for your help heres the images of the three bits of detail requested.I know its an old system lol but hes been kicking well lol so if you could tell me what kind of processor i would be able to get if i can upgrade it that is.as i want some ideas if i can upgrade the processor.

Thanks alot for your time in helping me

Roachie

Peace

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. whompus

whompus Active member

If I remember right that board will support 512 meg memory but only up to 850 mhz processor. The real world differance between the 850 and 700 you already have would be almost none. You might be able to get it to work with a 1 ghz by tweeking the multiplyer and fsb settings but would likely burn up the processor.

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Agreed.

The best that board's going to do, is 850MHz Celeron only processor at 100Mhz FSB (front side bus). You'll have to replace the memory modules from the original 66Mhz to 100Mhz as well to maintain the 1:1 ratio. There's a jumper on the board you'll have to switch from 66 to 100 if you go that route. The board doesn't support Pentium CPUs.

The fastest ATA speed for that board is 66MBs...which since you replaced the old hard drive with your 80GB (most likely an ATA100)...you didn't gain anything there.

In addition, if you want to boost your graphics speed, purchase a decent PCI video card and disable the onboard video and it's allocated memory.

8. roachie

roachie Member

Hi all thanks alot once again for your help so basically just keep saveing for a new system lol i must admit qbirt has been doing well for the past 8odd years and i think its time.I got a new system anyway lol.But your all great at AD and you have helped me out loads thank you ever so much for all your time

Roachie

Peace