1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packard Bell UTOW-SUN (wont turn on)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jb177, Jul 28, 2011.

1. jb177

jb177 Member

Hello was hoping you can help..

i have a friends computer at the moment and it doesn't seem to power on.

I get no response at all, i did in fact buy a new power supply and replaced it before realizing when he told me he had dropped it at some point that the clamps on the heat sync for the processor were loose.

I really need to find a solution for this guys because i don't wanna suggest getting any more new stuff for this computer without first fully understanding what the problem is.

If you need more information towards fixing this problem i will try my hardest to respond quickly.

I hope you can help as i am desperate to find a solution so i can give him a definitive answer to whether its fixable or not.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Jamie

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you try reseating the cpu heatsink? disconnect all cables to drives, reseat the power cables from psu to motherboard & reseat all cards & ram back into motherboard.

3. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

4. jb177

jb177 Member

I did yeh unfortunately for me tho there is no response still nothing turns on i dont even get a flicker of any fans or a keyboard light or anything the computer is completely dead atm and the problem is i dont want to tell the person i am repairing it for yes you may need a new processor if its the motherboard thats broken because then he could fry the the processor and vice versa. but if its both the motherboard and the processor not working it will be expensive either way.

i am obviously not saying they are the only problems that could be possible and thats why i am hoping you guys could give me some help if possible.

also JST1946 yeh that is my post just it wasnt in 2004 it was round about the same time as i posted this as i thought getting 2 lots of minds on the problem may help me to fix the problem if it is possible.

if you guys could use that post as a referance to help me further do checks on this problem it would be great help?

thanks
    Jamie

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take the board & psu out of the case to see what happens as right now i think you have a short possibly to ground due to case being dropped causing motherboard to shift.