1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL and NTSC playback on DVD player?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ImagoX, Mar 2, 2005.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX Member

I have some AVI files coded with DIVX that I want to burn to DVD to watch on my TV... I followed the steps I read about here to use TMPGEnc, etc. I started (as instructed) by analyzing the AVI file with AVICodec, and discovered that the file plays back at 25.0fps, which is the PAL (European) standard.

My question is: should I even bother trying to convert the file to MPEG and burn it to DVD? SInce I'm in the States, using (I assume) a standard NTSC DVD player, will the resulting file weven work on my US TV? I'm uncertain if you can play back like this- sorry.

Please advise if I should even bother with going forward, or if perhaps there's some other step I'm missing in the documentation that instructs one how to convedrt the file for use on NTSC playback equipment.

Thanks!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If your player can play PAL disks, it will do the necessary conversion (hardware, internal) to display properly on your NTSC television. Most players have an option somewhere, if it doesn't recognize the disk automatically.

3. ImagoX

ImagoX Member

Well, justfor giggles, I ran the AVI file through something I found called Divx2DVD... it created an ISO from the AVI file, which I tried mounting to a virtual drive using DaemonTools. The resulting "Virtual DVD" would play on my PC (using Power DVD), but there is a black box covering like 98% of the image- I can hear the file playing in the background. I tried opening the virtual DVD with Windows Media PLayer 9 and it played OK. Strange. I did not bother burning the DVD file to an actual disc, because it's been my experience that any time I do this with a DVD that POwer DVD cannot play properly then my DVD player will just choke on it too... Frustrating.