1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL disc to NTSC disc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BPMead007, Nov 28, 2007.

1. BPMead007

BPMead007 Member

Okay, I know there are a lot of questions about this very subject, but I have spent a good few hours trying to get this question answered to no avail, so I'm making a thread only as a last resort.

I downloaded a torrent file of a movie in the standard DVD form, with all the .ifo and .bup and .vob files. Problem is, it's a Russian DVD, in PAL format. I'm aware of the "patch" fix, but would like to truly encode the dvd to NTSC format. Whenever I search for topics on encoding pal to ntsc, I get a bunch of info on AVI to DVD. So how do I take DVD files that are in PAL format and get a true conversion to NTSC, without a loss in quality?

2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

No matter what, there will always be a loss of quality.

The method is the same as encoding an AVI to DVD. You would need an mpeg-2 encoder and set the output to NTSC. Personally, I use Mainconcept, but any good mpeg-2 encoder will do the trick.

If you have one of those Cyberhome DVDs, it will play the PAL no problem on an NTSC TV. Never tried it with a color movie though.

Just curious. What is the title of this movie. I like foreign movies and have yet to see a Russian movie.

3. BPMead007

BPMead007 Member

I see. Well, the patch method keeps cutting off the sides and top and bottom of my video, so I thought encoding it would preserve a truer version of it. It's not a russian movie, it's just Dead Man, the Jarmusch film, but it was ripped from a russian DVD. Maybe I'll just buy it, this is a huge headache.

4. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

yeah, you are better off buying it. Is Dead man the one with Johnny Depp?

5. BPMead007

BPMead007 Member

Yeah, it's an awesome movie.

6. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Oh cool. I saw that one in my college English class. I think I was the only one (other than the professor) that liked the movie.

7. BPMead007

BPMead007 Member

Haha yeah, my friend still doesn't forgive me for making him sit through Down By Law. I love Jarmusch though, it's awesome that he's worked with some of my favorite musicians, like Neil Young in Dead Man and RZA and GZA in Coffee and Cigarettes.