1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL DVD to NTSC DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by NBMZ28, Jul 15, 2002.

1. NBMZ28

NBMZ28 Guest

Hey all,

I've been scouring the web for awhile on this one, but can't seem to get a decent FAQ on transferring PAL DVD's to NTSC.

Does anyone know where one exists, or point me to the right direction? I know that there's tons on creating to VCDs and SVCDs, but none to create DVD-R. Or, if anyone has pulled this off with no issues, that would be great as well!

Thanks all!

Daniel

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Hello NBMZ28, I do the NTSC<->PAL conversion a fair bit (wish I didn't have to though). I'm real lazy so I have a couple of Canopus sw products that do the conversion (ProCoder and DV format converter). Both products do a very good job, and real easy to use. The downside is that both sw cost $$$ but here is a guide using freeware products:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/convert.htm

I haven't tried these methods but they look convincing.

3. NBMZ28

NBMZ28 Guest

Hey JNIHIL...

Thanks for the reply.. I might investigate into the canopus s/w if it can pull it off. Do you end up converting to MPEG2, or will it operate on .VOBs directly? Can it still retain the DD 5.1 info on the movie when using the canopus s/w?

I'll try some of these guides again, as they are mostly tailored to VCD stuff...

Thanks for your help!

Daniel

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Canopus's DVFC is a DV codec only converter, but their ProCoder handles just about all formats. Checkout their web page, http://www.canopuscorp.com. Think they have a demo as well. If you do this boring coversion a lot, then it's well worth the $$$.

Let us know how vcdhelp's conversion method goes. I've been meaning to try it one day.

Cheers.