1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL & NTSC

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by kenhsiung, Dec 18, 2004.

1. kenhsiung

kenhsiung Member

Hi, I'm new to this and I live in Canada. I read that for some games to play on my playstation (which is v7, maybe thats not important) I need to convert them from PAL to NTSC games because Canada uses NTSC. I read the guide on how to, but my question is, when do I have to convert them? If I rent a game (hypothetically) and made an iso the normal way and burned it, would it work? In other words, in what situations would I have to covert the iso file, and what exactly is the difference between PAL files and NTSC, and how can I tell? Sorry for the long question, hope someone can help!

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

all games in retail stores in canada are NTSC. The only way you'd run into a PAL game is if a store imports pal games from europe.

3. kenhsiung

kenhsiung Member

So if I bought my ps2 in Canada there should be no problem then. Games from the States are NTSC also?

4. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

Yes. The U.S. uses the NTSC signal as well.

5. okboz

okboz Regular member

If you have swap magic version 3.3 it will play both in colour without the need for any conversion anyway

Boz

6. WEStar

WEStar Active member

are you sure okboz? north american tvs don't support Pal signal... does that swap magic have a selector?

7. okboz

okboz Regular member

Well i live in the UK and only have PAL tv signals and all of my games that are NTSC work with pal dvd swap magic in colur so im sure if you got the ntsc swap magic then the reverse would apply. Dont see why it shouldn't

Boz

8. fgs5635

fgs5635 Member

Does the matrix infinity or dms4 do the same????

9. 2blu

2blu Member

Hi Can I buy xbox games in the USA that can be played in the UK, I've had my xbox chiped so I can play copyed games but visit the US from time to time and prefer to buy original games when I can.

10. JoshBosh

JoshBosh Member

The Problem with Yanks, and others in NTSC regions, are that their TV's tend not to like PAL signal's. So importing games/videos/dvd can be hard. Most PAL Regions have, for years, had their TV's supporting PAL, NTSC, & SECAM
    The yanks lead the tech secene in some places, and in others they seem rather backward.....

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004