1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL Question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xiaobao12, Feb 9, 2005.

1. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 Guest

Hello all,

If I burn a PAL backup, will it look funny on my TV or will it even run on my PS2 (modded)?

Thanks.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

It should work, but what kind of mad do you have. I have a PAL game and i use swap magic 3.3 and a flip top. i put it in and the screen was all flipped out the first time i tried. Then i put swap magic back in to try again and notice the setting below the load game part, i think it is screen mode or something. It will let you choose between PAL and NTSC (the default setting just says normal and works for most games). well i changed that and it loaded up just fine.

3. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 Guest

thanks for your reply.

i have a messsiah. however, i don't know if it is cuz the person that installed it was sketchy.

anyways, even if my ps2 can read a PAL disc, my tv can't - and there is no way around that. right?

4. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Don't know about the TV, like i said the Swap Magic disc setting change i made toi screen mode made mine work just fine, all the originals i have are NTSC, but alot i have DL'd have been PAL and for some odd reason with Swap Magic they still work on my TV.

6. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 Guest

nrk,

i saw that page - thanks. have you tried using the program yet? will quality be lost or will it be just a little bit offcentered?

steimy,

thanks. i'll just have to try burning a PAL game and seeing if it works.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

why not, it will only cost the $1 for the disc, worth a try. Not sure how the Messiah chip works but the new one's can play anything from any region. I just know that mine worked because of the swap magic program i have to use, no chip here but my new one will be! once i get my tax check that is.

8. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

The PAL signal uses more lines of resolution, so you can't have the entire picture. What PS2 PAL TO NTSC PATCHER WITH Y-FIX V1.05 BETA attempts to do is to convert the signal and center the screen. A little will be cut off from the top of the screen and a little will be cut off from the bottom of the screen.

A few PAL games have an option to run in the NTSC signal.

I use the program and I can tell you that video quality is not affected.

9. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 Guest

hey nrk,

thanks for your help. i patched warrior within with that proggy and it ran fine on my ps2 - just offcenter a bit but somehow, my eyes hurt a lot when i play it. does this have anything to do with the fact that the game was converted? also, is there absolutely no way around this off centering problem?

also, what is this thing i hear about DNAS? can you tell me more about it? even if i don't want to play online, i have to do take extra measures? (vs dvd decrypt rip, then copy onto blank dvd)

and to find out if its PAL or NTSC, do i use ISOBUSTER?

thanks alot.

10. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

No. I play converted games all the time, without any problems with my eyes.

The PAL signal uses more lines of resolution. So, using an NTSC T.V. set, you will not be able to see the entire picture. The Y-fix offset of 48 will center the image. A little bit from the top and bottom will be cut off.

The only way around it, is to buy a T.V. that accepts the NTSC and PAL signals.

Newer games that have online capabilities, have a protection so you can only use the original disc online. You can patch your original so you can play it online. If you have no intentions of playing online, just copy the game as normal.

You can use ISOBUSTER if you want. Look for what is called the ELF file. If it is named SLUS or SCUS, it will be the USA release. If it is named SLES or SCES, it will be the PAL release.

Most of the questions you've asked have already been answered in the first post of this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/121718

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  11. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 Guest

thanks nrk.

12. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

no problem