1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL-specific semi-brick issues

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by wardledom, Jun 26, 2007.

1. wardledom

wardledom Member

A lot of these threads seem specific to NTSC problems so I thought I'd start one especially for PAL machines.

My main reason for this is that, for NTSC(U) machines, Big Brain Academy is solving your problems. For us PAL oweners it's causing them. And that means we're not getting solutions when googling "Wii Big Brain Academy semi-bricked" (or variations thereof)

The more recent update on the BBA NTSC(U) disc is over-riding the PAL 2.2E update leading to an in-correct update.

Has anyone else with a PAL Wii had this problem? If so, what are the symptoms and are there any solutions?

My Symptoms:
    Double Channels of Weather and Internet
    Original games play fine
    back-up games dont play at all.
    I'm able to access settings but when I try and update it says I have the latest update

Solutions:
    reformat Wii- NOT TRIED- anyone had success with this?
    Wait for game to come out with new FW- NOT TRIED- any ideas when this will be?

2. wardledom

wardledom Member

Ahhh- talking to myself!

It appears that the next PAL game to come out will be Mario Party 8.

Anyone got any insights as to whether this will have a FW update???

3. darrenow

darrenow Member

i jus downloaded mario party 8 and updated it to my semi-brick pal wii... it dosent work... my settings are still unable to go in... any idea?

4. wardledom

wardledom Member

Was this the PAL version of MArio 8 or the US one?

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

What Modchip do you run on your PAL Wii?

You said your Wii settings are not bricked. What firmware does the Wii have when going into your Wii Settings? (Top right hand corner)

You said your backup games are no longer working. What I am wondering is if your Wii firmware was changed to 2.2U firmware then your game backup problem could be your Modchip.

Most Modchip firmware downloads are region specific so maybe the Modchip can't work properly when your Wii System has been crossed flashed with the incorrect firmware.

I know it doesn't answer your above question but just a thought on why your backup games don't work anymore.

I am glad I am not in this situation seems to be a pain in the ass. This is just another reason why it is so important to keep your Wii system updated and to use Wii Brick Blocker on games disc that are a different region then your Wii system is.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  6. wardledom

wardledom Member

That would make sense- I've got a Cyclowiz updated to 3.0b.

It's still showing as 2.2E in the Wii system- I had updated to the latest firmware but it must have been timestamped as "later" on the NTSC(U) one.

I guess I'm just waiting for a PAL game with a new update.

Hey ho- lots of Wii Sports in the meantime

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have read some threads that formating the Wii will delete the duplicated weather and news channels but I also read some threads that said it didn't delete them. So there are some conflicting confirmations on if formating actually gets rid of them or not.

If you do get tired of them you can bring them to a different page on the channel line up so you don't need to see them. This doesn't delete them but at least they will be off on another page out of the way. You do this by doing the below...

Hold down the B+A at the same time (Make sure you hold down B first before pressing A) on the duplicated channel. Then "slide" the channel to another page.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  8. darrenow

darrenow Member

anyone knows how to unbrick a PAL wii which was semi brick by big brain academy NTSC?

9. matricide

matricide Member

Sorry to not answer the question but just wanted to say that surely it would be better if all just stick to PAL if we are PAL or NTSC if NTSC then it stops any chance of it

10. darrenow

darrenow Member

so do u know how to fix it?

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@darrenow

Since BBA had a 2.2U firmware on the game disc you will need to wait till an update comes out for PAL Systems that has a higher firmware of 2.2E on the PAL game disc to try to recover your semi-bricked PAL Wii.

Before you ask no I don't know when a higher update will be released on a PAL game disc.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  12. darrenow

darrenow Member

ok thanx alot larry!!! that means now there is no game update that can unbrick right?

13. wardledom

wardledom Member

I was hoping Mario Party 8 would have an update when released in UK but, apparently not :eek:(

According to Wiki there's a Wii Channel update planned to compare Miis- this will be released as an update- but God knows how long that's going to take!

14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I am not going to repeat myself.

15. neil0neil

neil0neil Member

is there any harm in running all backed up games through wii brick blocker before burning them just to be safe?i am using a PAL machine and trying to be extra safe by running every backup through wii brick blocker regardless of wat region the original game is.
    thanks

16. wardledom

wardledom Member

Hi all,

Mario Party 8 has been out now for a few days- can anyone confirm if it's gan a newer update?

Thanks