1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL to NTSC conversion

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by bearr48, Sep 19, 2003.

1. bearr48

bearr48 Guest

Is there an easy, simple way to convert a PAL DVD to an NTSC copy, using DVDXcopy or some other program? I am a newbie.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Why do you want to do that? Most standalone DVD players will let you play either format at the click of a button.

3. bearr48

bearr48 Guest

I have not yet taken delivery on the DVD in question, so don't know for sure, BUT: I own two standalone DVD players, both less than 9 months old, and neither one has any indication of being able to play PAL format. And I am not really wild about buying yet a third machine. ??

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I assume you have read the guide to the players? Normally there is a button which converts playback immediately.

5. laguna_b

laguna_b Member

The user asked a simple question which I need answered as well. You are correct that many DVD players have the ability to play PAL and NTSC, however there are some noteworthy exceptions. Sony seems more intent on protecting it's intellectual property than servicing the customers of it's DVD players. On their website they say that the units sold in the USA play ONLY Region 1 and only NTSC. I just bought a sony dvp-nc685 to try out and I can testify that it is true. My old Philips 624 has no problem nor doe my Mintek portable. Sony wants to be an bumhole about it so they can take their unit back.

6. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

This has been answered before here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/9383
    Another way than that described in the post would be to use canopus procoder, with it you can easily reencoded the dvd to fit to a dvd-r and change the framerate from pal(25 fps) to ntsc(29.97fps)

7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Not suprised about the Sony. As usual you pay more money for less.