1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL to NTSC Conversion

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by =Exodus=, Nov 3, 2003.

1. =Exodus=

=Exodus= Member

Greetings AfterDawn Forum!

I've looked at past posts about this subject, and all of them will not let me post a reply... since it's over 45 days old.

I have a PAL MPEG file, and I want to convert it to NTSC MPEG, and then burn it to DVD+R for use in my home theatre system. I downloaded the latest TMPGenc Plus v2.521, and I'm not too certain how to set it up for proper conversion.

Being as this is my first time doing this, I'm a newbie. If anyone can point me to some good tutorials, or some good advice for conversion I appreciate.

Past topics have gone over the argument of PAL/NTSC format and the framrate controversy. Needless to say, we probably don't need to discuss those intricacies . LOL.

Thank you for you time.

2. =Exodus=

=Exodus= Member

I was able to convert a PAL to NTSC video file, but the sound was messed up. Not too sure what settings I should be using?

3. koola

koola Guest

Mainconcepts mpeg encoder is better at converting PAL to NTSC it is much simplar with better muxing capabilities.

Get it at Simpleguides.tk in the tools section.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

There are 2 methods I use for Converting Pal/NTSC...On which is the easiest Is U just use a High end Video editor like Premier or Vegas Video 4 to convert the file...The other Method works Best when Converting a Progressive 25fps Pal File to a 23.97fps NTSC file...Since you have a Mpeg file I would do it like this..I would Load the Pal File into Tmpgenc and encode it to 23.97fps But under "Advanced Settings" I check the "Do Not Frame Rate convert" Box...Now when it has finnished encodeing the Video will be 23.97fps But the Audio will not be in sync because the Frame rate is Different which makes the Video Longer than the Audio By about 4%..So I take the audio and Uncompress it to Wav/PCM and load the Wav file into a audio editing Program called "Goldwave" and go to "Effects" to "Time Warp" and Put in the exact length of the Video file in the space Provided and save the File...This will Stretch the audio to the Length of the Video now you Just author the Video and Audio to DVD...You will Probably need to use a Program Like "Pulldown.exe" to add the 3:2 Pulldown Flags to make the Video 29.97fps NTSC...I know it sound complicated But it actually isn"t if you have done it a couple times...Cheers

5. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Minion's method should work fine for you.
    However, if you have access to Canopus Procoder the process i s alot simpler. You can just load up your source video, input your conversion parameters, and it will produce perfectly synched video and audio files for you.
    Good luck