1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL to NTSC or .AVI to Mpeg, What's My Priority?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Flibber, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Flibber

Flibber Member

I notice this file is PAL. Does it matter if I just code to Mpeg with a default NTSC setting(I think there's a program out there). Or convert to NTSC manually then to Mpeg.

There might be some other tweaks to the frames or BPS that i'm too new to see, If someone can chime in with advice, that'd be stellar...

Here's the Specs:

Size : 695 mb
    Video Type : Mpeg4
    TV Standard : PAL
    Resolution : 640x272
    Total Bitrate: 830 kbps
    Audio Type : MP3
    Sample Rate : 44,100
    Audio Bitrate: 135 kbps
    Duration : 01:57:07.4

Converting to Mpeg puts it at about 5.26GB. That's quite a change from about 1GB.

I hope to do this correctly the first time...

Any help is appreciated THX!

2. attar

attar Senior member

If the aim is to convert to DVD and burn to a disk, try this:

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe
    Import the file(s) (AVI, MPEG, VOB)
    Output (standard DVD file format) to a folder on the HDD.
    Set 'Aspect' to 4:3 (if you have a regular tv)
    Set 'Standard' to NTSC (if you live in North America)

If the output files are too large for a single layer DVD, run the output through DVD Shrink.

DVD Shrink
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/
    Download, install and run.
    'Open Files' choose the folder with the DVD files.
    Click 'Backup!'

Burn the resultant files to DVD using this.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Run ImgBurn
    Mode > 'Build'
    Output > 'Device'
    File > 'Browse for Folder', highlight on the 'VIDEO_TS' folder, > 'OK'
    Click the green write button.

if it's an ISO imge to be burned, select 'Mode' > 'Write'

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@attar.... you are correct with the information on DivXToDVD but when it does convert it will make the file fit to a DVD5 or a DVD9 which ever you make the settings to! so the file will not be too large to fit onto a blank DVD....... such the name: XTODVD!

I like ConvertXToDVD .... upgrade from DivXToDVD.... VSO makes great programs!

4. attar

attar Senior member

I stand corrected...I think.
    But where's the setting??

[​IMG]

5. Flibber

Flibber Member

@ attar, Fantastic! thanks for the point in the right direction. I want to ask what if I have Procoder 2? does this take the place of Divx2DVD? I've heard that AVIsynth is the best for converting but I wouldn't attempt it being ignorant as I am.

Procoder 2 and it's spin-offs are said to be the close second but they are still involved to use. I haven't got familiar with P2 yet so I don't know, but i'll head that way and see if it will sub in for Divx2DVD if you say so.

THX
    CG

6. attar

attar Senior member

I'm not familiar with Procoder, so I can't offer an opinion.
    TMPGenc products are very good for authoring DVD's, but I stick with freeware.
    Good luck.

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@attar......here's your settings:
    [​IMG]

I don't use DivXToDVD anymore..... too ancient and more updates are with ConvertXToDVD and it's faster and better! as you can seeeee!

ProCoder2 is an encoder.. and here is what AVISynth does: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page it's a plugin to programs that helps edit and processing videos.

@Flibber, I think you're gettin mixed up with encoders and transcoders. CCE and ProCoder 2 are encoders and they take a while to break down the video files to it's components (audio & video) and then puts it back together according to your settings. Where a transcoder (like programs: CloneDVD, DVDFab Platinum, Shrink, Nero Recoder, and others) that just make the footprint of the video smaller to fit onto a DVD5. Transcoders are faster because it doesn't break the video file down to it's components (audio & video) and then reassemble the components back. Encoders are usually used as a plugin to programs like DVDRebuilder Pro.... I use CCE and/or Procoder 2 with that program. I think CCE is better than Procoder 2 but that's just my opinion.... others have theirs. Read all about DVDRebuilder in the DVDRebuilder forum!

8. attar

attar Senior member

@Ihoe,
    All my references are/were the freeware version.
    No options except NTSC/PAL and 4:3/16:9
    I like the command line options of ConvertX.

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I can tell you that ConvertXToDVD is well worth the money! I have all VSO's software..... and they give free updates for LIFE!

10. Flibber

Flibber Member

@ IHoe, If you scroll up and look at the specs, the codec used to encode this avi is mpeg4. I think I need to convert to mpeg2 in a dvd compliant form, and change from PAL to NTSC. This is a stateside operation, so I can eat my pop'kn Korn'n on the couch... not in the bed...

I've been told many one step programs don't handle this very well. And to compound matters, my audio is 44kHz mp3, so it will have to be converted as well, to 48kHz ac3 or pcm for NTSC standards. If the audio is an mp3 that was variable bit rate encoded that adds some extra problems.

I opened the file with Gspot video utility and it showed exactly this. it was vbr encoded.

The only program that I have heard used that does this consistently well in one step is Procoder 2. Procoder Express is the much less expensive version of this encoder and it can probably handle the process also, or so I've been told. I have Procoder 2, but am only learning how to use it now.

@ attar, I'm going to try and use ProCoder 2 to break down the individual parts of the film so I can re-encode it to US standards. This is what's brain-wracking. I'll have to experiment with it and see what comes of it, but it would be nice to know if there was an avid user of ProCoder 2 to double check my results with.

I'll keep the thread alive... ;)

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@Flibber........ I know you're a newbie at this..... but ConvertXToDVD is what you need! but that's ok..... you do what you think is best. you can read all about it here:
    http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/
    and another thing..... it gives great quality if the original file is good quality! another words.... garbage in garbage out..... quality in quality out! good luck to you.

12. Flibber

Flibber Member

@ IHoe, Hey, I've got time. I could try it both ways. What i'm afraid of is getting garbled 2nd-hand AVI's and transcoding them with all the errors intolike you said, 2nd-hand DVD's

I though it might be better to demux and repair the components singly and then combine. I think the VBR is getting shredded anyways. If I can make it stable as it is in another converted file instead of carrying it over to a transcoded state, that might be this movie's only saving grace...

Anyways, what's the harm in trying both methods? ;)

CG