1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL to NTSC?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by m6a, Mar 31, 2005.

1. fileft

fileft Member

Hmm.. well from the info here it seems that using TMPGEnc to convert PAL to NTSC you would have to have these settings:

25 fps to 23.976 (internally 29.976) and 3:2 pulldown when playback the video will end up being just about the same length, less frames than original video, and file size will be smaller
    [bold]Note:[/bold]if you go to the advanced tap and check the box next to [bold]do not frame rate conversion[/bold] the video will be longer, there will be the same amount of frames in the video, and the playback speed will decrease

or

25 fps to 29.976 the video will end up being just about the same length, more frames than original video, and file size will be larger
    [bold]Note:[/bold]if you go to the advanced tap and check the box next to [bold]do not frame rate conversion[/bold] the video will be shorter, there will be the same amount of frames in the video, and the playback speed will increase

Also, if you have an [bold]AC3[/bold] audio file extracted following the [bold]Convert AVI to DVDR[/bold] guide follow this guide http://www.doom9.org/ac3machine.htm to synchronize audio if you decide to check that box, but not for any other type of audio file.

Hope this helps anyone who needs to know this! :)

Oh yeah, and if this works for you, spread the word!!
    [bold]PLEASE RESPOND[/bold]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  2. peter101

peter101 Member

Thanks everyone for trying to help me out. I really do appreciate it.
    However this is about 10 miles over my head. I bought this movie for my wife, because she always wanted it. I will just keep searching for one on ebay that I can play.
    Again thanks for all your efforts.

3. slew0408

slew0408 Guest

I have an mpeg file that is in Pal format, i converted it to NTSC using the slowdown method as Minion suggested, the video came out fine, but when i try to author it using DvdLab, I get an error message, and the program terminates itself.....can someone please help me, I dont know what I am doing wrong...Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2005
  4. Minion

Minion Senior member

What type of Error did you get in DVDLab??? Have you tried a different DVD authoring program like Maybe "Tmpgenc DVD Author"???

5. slew0408

slew0408 Guest

The error I get says DvdLab has encoutered a serious error, and needs to be terminated, then it gives three options 1. Save, 2. Debug, 3. Terminate, then it terminates itself without warning, I have yet to try Tmpgenc DVD Author, but I will be sure to try that, I just can't understand why I am getting this error, I followed your directions to a tee..maybe it is the movie I am trying to convert......any other suggestions, Thanks

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

It sounds More like a Problem with DVDLab...Can you View the File you are trying to author to DVD in Media Player or PowerDVD ect??

If so then it is Probably a problem with DVDLab ....

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

get avisynth.

mpeg2source("C:\whereever\test.d2v")
    LeakKernelBob()
    lanczosresize(720,480)
    ConvertFPS(59.94)
    separatefields()
    SelectEvery(4,1,2)
    Weave()

or try dgpulldown to tag 25fps-->29.97
    no need such frame speeding or conversion.
    never tried it myself though.
    http://neuron2.net/dgpulldown/dgpulldown.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2005
  8. slew0408

slew0408 Guest

Yes, I am able to view the file with WinDvd, and the Media Player perfectly, I guess the problem is with the DvdLab software....I used TmpGenc DVD Author as you suggested Minion, and it worked perfectly, I think I am going to stick with this for a while, Thanks Minion and Shiroh for your help.

9. ahuizotl

ahuizotl Member

what about using nero vision express to convert pal to ntsc?

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

IS their a way (program) to tell if u got a pal DVD or ntsc?..I have a DVD Player that says INCORRECT DISC FORMAT..it's a TRONICS by Curtis Mathes..But the DVD plays fine on my other players in Kit & L/R..This is not an orig DVD it's one that has been converted to DVD-R Disc.Also it won't play on my friends DVD Player either

11. m6a

m6a Member

Last edited: May 10, 2005