1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pal to NTSC

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by stmaniac, Jul 17, 2011.

1. stmaniac

stmaniac Member

Are there any programs that out there, that will convert a PAL dvd to NTSC? If so are there any guides that can walk me through it?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know of a guide to do it, I just finished a conversion of a Region 2 PAL disk (Sharpe's Battle) using AVStoDVD.

I ripped the disk using DVDFab HD Decrypter.
    Opened it in DVD Shrink and selected 'Re-author' mode and selected the main title and saved it.
    Using AVStoDVD I selected the IFO file (VTS_01_1.IFO) and let it convert it to NTSC format.

There are many variations on this type of conversions, each has their proponents.
    I don't know how much experience you have so I will list a number of points.

1 Generally, ripping a commercial disk from a different region (not a burned DVD that someone made) will reset your burner to the region code of that disk.
    You can only do this five times then your burner becomes locked to whatever region (hopefully your region) but if you are not careful you have a burner you can't watch your dvd collection on.

2 Some new, commercial, disks have odd protection schemes that ripping software doesn't clean up.
    The odd bits left over can cause audio sync problems when the video is converted to a new format.
    The ripped disk files can be run through FixVTS to clean them up.

3 Menu's can cause sync problems;it's best to get rid of the menu if you intend to convert the movie - note that you cannot keep the menu when converting a PAL movie to NTSC anyway, but it's still best to explicitly remove it before converting.
    This is why I Re-author using DVD Shrink (it also transcodes the movie so that it fits on a standard sized blank).

Good luck.