1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL VHS to MPEG

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by oldfart, Jul 4, 2003.

1. oldfart

oldfart Guest

Problem is whenever I capture the playback has a white stripe approx one third of screen right across the middle.
    Hardware software as follows
    AthlonXP 1800
    ABIT nF7
    1G DDR memory
    Gainward Force4 AGP card with 64DDR
    Nvidia on both Gainward and Abit
    120G hard drive
    Virtualdub (both versions) and several other proprietary systems

The problem occurs whatever software I use to capture from my VCR, I have tried different codecs changed settings around in Virtualdub etc
    Does anyone have any experience of this , is it a capture driver issue (WDM) or a copy protection or simply settings?

2. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

Hey man what type of capture card or device are you using.

give us your source VHS tapes and stuff... and your end result wether it be divx, svcd, dvd wat ever

And try give you all the steps in between

3. oldfart

oldfart Guest

Capture device is built into Gainward Force4 card (WDM drivers) into which I can plug the VCR, playback from tapes are perfect on Vdub monitor and under most other software though I have mainly used Virtualdub.
    The tapes are 1) a commercial tape of All That Jazz. 2)recording off BBC TV of film THe Mountain Men 3) recording off BBC TV of a series called The Atlantic Realm.
    The end product so far has been to try capture to avi file with intention of changing to Mpeg4 or DVD once the white stripe is solved.
    Incidentally to clarify matters the white band across the screen is not some form of splitting but rather a complete white out of the middle section of the picture, sound is perfect and in sync.
    Sorry to perhaps miss something, put it down to advanced age (75) and Althzeimers disease !! (what was the name of that disease ? )
    Seriously though I have messed with computers since the Sinclair and BBC2 but video is a new field so I may well be missing something, I live retired sailing and want to preserve my VHS tapes in a form less susceptible to marine atmosphere.
    Thanks

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

There is a similar discussion here regarding the white bars:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/20001

The theory is macrovision copy protection, but I believe some of your tapes have been recorded off the TV, so perhaps the video card is confusing some video noise with macrovision?? Anyway, probably worth the search over the net and try the driver without macrovision support. Either that, or see if you can find a mate with a Video-enhancer (TimeBaseCorrector) and clean up the macrovision-noise and try the capture again.

Sinclair, huh? Those were the days. I grew up with DEC PDP-11s. That makes both of us rather old... :)

Rgds,
    jnihil.

5. jnihil

oldfart (nice handle),

I did some reading and it is indeed macrovision. Some noisy video signals will also confuse the card into triggering the white-band feature.

This is the driver you need:

nVidia reference WDM driver 1.08

I read that more recent drivers also has this issue, so try and find this particular driver I say.

Good luck.

jnihil.

6. oldfart

oldfart Guest

Thanks jnihil, I had read of macrovision but missed white bar across centre, the reading I did suggested multi bars at top of page.
    Will pursue the driver you suggest and report back.
    One benefit of present status is that I have permanent wifi connection onboard so am able to surf at any time.

7. jnihil

8. oldfart

oldfart Guest

Thanks again, particularly for direct to Visiontek UK v1.08 which I will obtain, tried a version last night but was unaware of exactly how to uninstall all old drivers. Have had trouble all along with this board (audio driver not loading, non recognition of wifi, it connects as far as card recognition but no web connect) Nothing more annoying than a device that reports it is working perfectly and doesnt.
    Anyway will try some more with 1.08 tonight perhaps, thye link certainly provides good insights into how to check functionality of WDM and WFW.
    Thanks again and thanks to the web, no one on this island has any knowledge of this problem!

9. oldfart

oldfart Guest

Update on happenings so far
    I had emailed Nvidia and yesterday got a reply and an email with attached WDM file which they say is new and will not give this problem.
    Do I unzip and install this WDM or just seek to extract the Nvcap.sys and replace the existing one??

10. haw001

haw001 Guest

Oldfart,

Would you mind emailing the drivers to me? I have the same problem and would like to give it a go.

** edited by moderator. read the forum rules **

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2003
  11. oldfart

oldfart Guest

Haw001, tried your link without success, email me at oldfart@megatropic.com which will allow me to reply/send

12. KiwiHarry

KiwiHarry Member

I believe I have the answer to your most frustrating problem. It took me several months to resolve it. The problem is with the WDM driver itself. You need older driver version 1.08. If you uninstall your current driver, restart you system, install the version 1.08 driver and restart your system you will find the white band no longer appears in your recorded playbacks. Good luck...

13. oldfart

oldfart Guest

thanks, I have the 1.08 drivers but never managed to install them successfully.
    Do you have full details of uninstall/install process
    At 75 I am probably missing something, I remember computers when they booted up with a single cursor on a black screen

14. KiwiHarry

KiwiHarry Member

It's important that you un-install the old drivers. Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove the Nvidia WDM Drivers. Restart your machine. Unpack your 1.08 drivers and run setup. Restart you machine. If your machine comes up after startup saying it found the drivers allow it to install each one in turn without allowing it to search the floppy drive or the cd-rom drive. You can then look in your device manager under sound/video and game controllers and you should see all the drivers installed. If you machine starts up without saying it found the drivers just look in the device manager and you should see them there. From that point you should be able to run Power VCR II and the like and record without any white band across the screen. Good luck.

15. oldfart

oldfart Guest

Thanks again. will try this weekend.
    The 1.08 drivers were sent email from Nvidia so are not on floppy/cdrom