1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pal Vs NTSC argument

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gnovak1, Jun 8, 2004.

1. gnovak1

gnovak1 Member

I have just received a disc from Scotland. When i play it in my dvd player, it says "Playback Prohibited By Area Restrictions". I noticed that this dvd is Region : All and Video Format PAL. My DVD PLayer does not play PAL discs but the person who sent me the disc is claiming that so long as its region free, it should play on all dvd players whether its PAL or NTSC format.
    He claims the "video format shouldn't matter. PAL or NTSC formats should play in any dvd player as long as the disc is region free."

Does Region free have anything to do with PAL video formats or are we taking apples and oranges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You're right. They're different things. Your friend probably isn't aware of the fact that most NTSC DVD players won't play PAL. Fortunately this started changing a couple of years ago when the Chinese started sending large numbers of players that handle either one. The other problem (and the reason for the lack of player compatibility) is that even fewer NTSC TVs will display a PAL signal properly.

So basically, yes you're correct and if you want to watch the disc you'll have to get a different one. If your TV doesn't support PAL (and I bet it doesn't) you need a player that actually converts the signal to NTSC. Those players are probably the rarest, but there seem to be more of them every day as well.

BTW, Region Codes are just a fancy way for studios to control what material is available in any given area and are more of a DRM thing while PAL or NTSC is the actual characteristics of the video signal.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  3. gnovak1

gnovak1 Member

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately this person still insists i am wrong. He thinks my player is defective.

But i'm glad to hear i was right. I am using TMPGenc to convert the file to NTSC format and i know it will work when i'm done.

Thanx again. Your answer was very helpful.

Glenn

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

No problem. And make sure to rub your friend's nose in it for me when your solution works. ;)