1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E85H error U99

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by K2SMN, Jan 4, 2005.

1. yankee10

yankee10 Member

C3024 feeds component video out Red from the video processor IC3001.
    C3026 feeds component video out Blue from the video processor IC3001.
    C3029 feeds Line out V1 and V2 from the video processor IC3001.
    C3031 feeds video CPN Out1 and Out2 also from the video processor IC3001.

C3022 to C3031 all feed these and other video outputs from the video processor chip.

C3022, C3024, C3026, C3029, C3031 are all 6V 1000 uF capacitors and
    C3023, C3025, C3027, C3028, C3030 are all 10V 100 uF capacitors and are generally paired with the 6V caps (connected at one end). E.g, C3022 and C3023 are connected, C3024 and C3025 are connected, etc.

2. TForce1

TForce1 Member

Thanks for that. I replaced all the leaking caps, but could not get the unit to power up again. I am pretty sure I did the work correctly and put everything back in its proper place. When I replaced C1413 a couple months ago, the unit took about 90 minutes to come back on after plugging it back in to the wall. This time, it did not. I suspect another part in the PS failing, but can not see anything visually wrong with it.

Does anyone have an idea what a likely suspect part might be for this behavior?

3. handyguy2

handyguy2 Member

Does anyone still get a TVguide?

4. TForce1

TForce1 Member

I was, before I disassembled mine earlier this week. I'm a TWC customer.

5. starrig

starrig Member

I do, in the Boston area. Every once in a while, it goes off, and I email the chief engineer at the hosting TV station, and it gets fixed.

6. dksmall

dksmall Member

Getting the guide fine in Phoenix, AZ with Cox.

7. brewtoo

brewtoo Member

Does anyone know which DVRs use the same power supply as the E85H??

Thanks!

8. handyguy2

handyguy2 Member

I'm in California, I haven't got a TVG feed for almost 2 years.

Any way to find out what our hosting TV station is?

9. starrig

starrig Member

You might just call around. In many cities, it's the CBS affiliate. I found out by calling my PBS station, which had been the host, and they told me it had changed to the CBS station.

I'd ask for the engineering department, because they're the ones who handle it. Also, the service might be known as Gemstar, TVGOS, or [edit] TV Guide Onscreen.

When I've had outages, sometimes it's been the hosting station's issue. Sometimes it's been at Comcast, but the engineers at the hosting station know who to talk to at Comcast to get it fixed. At one point there was a Comcast issue that only affected my neighborhood. But they got to the bottom of it. (And they wouldn't have known if I hadn't contacted them.)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  10. dksmall

dksmall Member

Use the debug screen and see if you have a host channel assigned. That would tell you which channel at least. Do you get a channel lineup, just no guide data?

11. yankee10

yankee10 Member

I tried responding before--thought I had--but it never posted.

Does your unit come on at all? If not, check the fuse which is soldered on (F1101). If the unit gets some power, check the voltages coming out of the power supply board on connector P1502 (connected to the main PCB). Ground is on pins 5-9 and 14-15. Following are other voltages:

pin voltage
    2 : 13v
    3,4 : 5.8v
    12,13 : 12v
    16,17 : 5v
    19,20 : 3.3v
    21,22 : 1.8v

There is a power transformer on the power supply board (T1151) through which all the DC power is supplied. On the British version the power transformer has been a problem.

Check the fan. Make sure it is not clogged with dirt. It may not be on all the time even when the unit is operating normally. Make sure it isn't seized up. Also when operating, ensure that there is adequate air flow. Don't put anything directly on top of the unit and have a few inches of space behind it. Overheating is one thing that dries out capacitors and causes leaking. Having as many leaking capacitors as you did (especially ones not carrying power) makes me suspicious that heat is the main cause of your problems.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  12. jhvance

jhvance Member

As this thread seems to be the only one active that's related to the E85 and has touched before on TVGOS matters, I'll post a couple of queries I'd like to see whether anyone has any advice or comment -- having gotten the Panny back from warranty service a couple of years ago before the digital switchover, I never set it up again but now have that intent.

1. Anyone hooked their E85 up with a ChannelMaster CM-7000PAL and gotten the TVGOS functions through to the E85 for recording okay? Can you dub programs from the CM-7000PAL's hard drive to the E85, either directly to DVD or first to the HDD for editing?

2. What's the proper audio/video wiring setup to make bidirectional A/V transfers between these two pieces of equipment, and which component is the "master" of the two in the system?

3. Where does the 'G-link' gizmo get put in that configuration? At present, the CM-7000PAL is hooked into a Samsung LN32A550 LCD via HDMI cable, which would be nice to keep.

Thanks!

13. vulcanusa

vulcanusa Regular member

I see Panasonic has announced a new blu-ray equivalent to our good ol' DMR-E85H. My wife is bugging me to obtain an ability to record in Hi-Def and it looks like the DMR-BW970 would do the trick. Any of my DMR-E85 buddies familiar with this model and where to buy one? BestBuy doesn't appear to carry them. According to an article I read (i.e. below) they were supposed to be available in September 2009! Perhaps they were never sold in the USA?

Thanks

--------------------

Panasonic just announced a new series of Diga DVR (Digital Video Recorders) that will be available in September.

Available in six models, these new DVRs feature a Blu-ray recorder, and a VHS player (for the DMR-BR670V) with a choice between 320GB / 500GB / 1TB / 2TB of HDD (a world?s first). These new video recorders are equipped with the latest generation of the UniPhier system LSI that integrates new AV data compression/decompression (codec) technology.

As for the high-end model, the DMR-BW970 and the successor of the DMR-BW930, you should be able to record up to 320hrs of video in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 @ 12.9Mbps. This DVR also supporst Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, can record on BD-RE / BD-R / DVD-RAM / DVD-R / DVD R DL / DVD-RW, and of course features HDMI output, SDHC card slot, the VIERA Link, and is DLNA.

http://en.akihabaranews.com/23895/h...c-introduces-a-new-line-up-of-2tb-blu-ray-dvr

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  14. scott16

scott16 Member

They sell one on Amazon Japan (the 320GB model) for $1250 + shipping (I doubt you can buy it in the US though, usually Amazon Japan won't ship any consumer electronics at all to the US).

Anyway it's too expensive for me (I might buy one if it cost $600 or something),
    but $1250 + shipping is definiely a bit too much for me to spend on a video recorder.

15. jhvance

jhvance Member

Regrettably, that notice from Panasonic was issued in 2009, and they've now discontinued those models entirely, per this Google translation from their Japan website:

http://translate.google.com/transla...afe=off&client=opera&hs=gDc&rls=en&prmd=imvns

However, that webpage also seems to indicate they've since come out with an even newer line (the BZT series in the left column) with HDD capacities up to 3 TB (!), though I'm skeptical any will ever be made available for the US market. Alas, they don't appear to have DVD burning capability, but I can't read the Japanese (graphic image, not translated) so I can't be certain.

I for one would purchase one of these new models made for current American digital broadcast channels in a heartbeat or two if they had DVD burning capability, in order to replace the old DMR-E85H that's still working -- it's now hooked into a simple Dish TVPal converter box that successfully gets a few TV channels using the L3 inputs, not the CM-7000Pal as noted in the earlier posting because that combination effectively shuts off and supplants the CM-7000Pal's independent operating functions for recording in order to feed the tuner's signal to the Panny.

The DMR-E85H/DTVPal combination doesn't seem to pull in the TVGOS show listings, but since I know what channels it does receive and know what the regular schedule is for shows I'd like to record which are broadcast on those channels (or can look them up on Zap2It.com), I can record some things on it directly. I still use the CM-7000Pal (which seems to have much higher tuner sensitivity and pulls in a lot more channels than the DTVPal), and now have it hooked into the L1 inputs of the Panny to dub shows I want to burn to DVD, and this seems to work okay (though a bit cumbersome).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  16. starrig

starrig Member

We recently upgraded to an HD TV. We're still getting standard def cable service, or at least our current cable box is only SD capable. Does anyone know what happens if you hook the DMR-E85 to an HD cable box? Will that render it unusable? And are there any HD cable boxes that will support the TVGOS feed?

I'd like the HD option for direct viewing on the TV, but I don't want to fix what ain't broke if it'll hobble the Panasonic.

17. Hrubyink

Hrubyink Member

Roger:
    I followed your Snafu steps to the letter however after I did the firmware update I got the dreaded PLEASE WAIT message. Any ideas?? I know its not a power issue unless the capacitors failed right after the firmware update (Seems unlikely being that after I exchange and formated a different hard drive everything worked fine until switching to DVD then came the U99 error. Thats was when I loaded the update).

Thanks in advance.

18. dksmall

dksmall Member

As the months have gone on, my DVR crashes got more and more frequent. First once a month, then once a week, then almost daily. Most of the time the crash would occur during a recording, but once it happened when the DVR was off (standby). I would notice the machine was on when it shouldn't be and the screen would display the message "An error has occurred". The machine was also struggling to get guide data, with the host channel entry coming and going. Upon opening the machine I saw that C1413 and C1150 had burst. I don't think anyone had mentioned these failures before. After replacing both caps the DVR seems to be back to it's old self again. I replaced C1413 with the same value (1500uf), but I couldn't find a 56uf cap for C1150, so I went with a 47uf that measured 49uf out of circuit. The bad part was down to 20uf.

19. dksmall

dksmall Member

When I didn't get guide data for several weeks I contacted Rovi support and was told to check my cables, etc. and email them the diagnostic data from the debug screens. Then I was told to issue a command from the message screen, similar to the debug screen one, and send diag data again the next day. This command is "653274147" which apparently resets the DVR. I noticed it cleared any recordings I had scheduled and I suspect it will also clear guide data and the channel lineup. Might be helpful to someone trying to get the DVR reset and running again.

20. vulcanusa

vulcanusa Regular member

I have had 3 DMR-E85Hs since the fall of 2005. I've had to replace two or more capacitors in all three machines over the years - sometimes more than once. In one case I had to replace several capacitors on the main board near the back and to the left (viewed from the front of the machine) of the DVD-RW.

I had to unplug many electronic devices recently because of some preplanned power utility work in my neighborhood. One of my DMR-E85Hs has behaved quite strangely - almost schizophrenically - after plugging it back in. There are audio output issues, remote issues, the machine spontaneously starting to record, and the like.

I attempted all of the tried and true reset button combos and procedures. Nothing has worked. <Sigh> I opened the machine expecting to find one or more blown capacitors and was surprised to find none. I removed the DVD-RW and those capacitors underneath the DVD-RW also looked fine. I realize some capacitors might look fine, but might otherwise have dried out or failed without bulging. However, I am wondering if the issue is something else. In particular, there is a button battery - the top of which is soldered to an L-shaped crane - on the main board underneath the DVD-RW. It's got a yellow band around the circular edge circumference. Most of us who have been around computers for awhile know it's rare for these button batteries to last beyond 5 years, but probably a max of 7 years or so. And <TaDa> these machines are circa 2004. So, I am wondering - even when powered from a wall socket - if a failure of the button battery might result in machine schizophrenia. Any insight on the part of the thread would be appreciated. Thanks.