1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E85H error U99

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by K2SMN, Jan 4, 2005.

1. yankee10

yankee10 Member

There are several capacitors in the audio circuit with a 6V rating. Some I have found are:

C4049 (6V470uF) which powers IC4004 +5v regulator
    C4005 (6V470uF) which powers IC4005 +9v regulator
    C4416 (6V330uF) which powers IC4409 +3.3V DAC/ADC regulator
    C4418 (6V100uF) ditto
    C4413 (6V100uF) ditto

All these power audio circuit components.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. starrig

starrig Member

I failed to write down its number on the circuit board before closing up the box. But it was 1500uF and 6.3V, taller than the usual ones known to blow. I ordered a replacement with the same rating, and also one with a 10V capacity.

Meanwhile, I was able to burn a couple of DVDs of movies already on the HD. However, the record function isn't working, either, along with the audio. And I saw it turn itself on and do a self-test, so as soon as I could power it off, I unplugged it. I'll let it sit until the second set of parts comes.

Fingers crossed that it's just that capacitor.

On the ones I replaced, (10V and 16V), I used 25V caps as replacements. Though I also have 10V and 16V on hand, just in case. I hope using the higher rating doesn't cause a problem.

3. yankee10

yankee10 Member

I can only find one capacitor with those values-- C1413. It filters the 1.8v circuit. C1539 (6V1000uF) is also on that circuit. The 1.8V circuit feeds regulators for 1.2v and 1.5v which go all over the place.

By the way, for these large power supply filter capacitors, a higher voltage rating doesn't hurt. Higher voltage rating is better--it gives you more margin. However, larger WVDC (voltage) ratings usually mean larger capacitors--which might not fit or in some cases block airflow. So it's good to keep an eye on that.

4. starrig

starrig Member

Okay, thanks. Sounds like that C1413 (I think that was the one) could cause problems all over. I'll report back when the new parts arrive and are in place.

5. starrig

starrig Member

No good. I replaced the C1413 capacitor with one rated for 10V in place of the original 6.3V. The result is the same. The machine powers up, shows all the correct screens, and lets me play back shows already on the hard drive -- without audio. I haven't tested DVD burning, but last time that was working okay. I can watch TV through the tuner -- without audio.

Recording is nonfunctional. If I press Record, it appears to go into record mode, and creates an entry in the NAV, but then says it can't play it, and then freezes until I unplug it.

Anyone have a suggestion where to go from here?

6. K2SMN

K2SMN Member

1. If you burn a DVD of existing good file on the hard drive, does it play with sound on another machine?

2. The failures you get when you try to record indicates a more serious situation. The problem is probably on the CPU board.

3. This could fix it or totally kill it: Try doing a firmware install. But that might not be able to be done if the unit thinks the firmware is up to date. Have you looked at the numbers that come up when you enter the "Service Mode"? Maybe a clue there...

Good Luck!
    Roger.

7. starrig

starrig Member

I need to do another test, but the last DVD I burned (after replacing the first set of caps) was fine as far as sound is concerned.

I used to know this stuff, but now I can't remember how to do the firmware update. Nor do I know how to enter "Service Mode" -- or what I would look for if I got there.

Interesting to note that the machine itself seems to find no problems when it does Self Test. Really good test, hm?

I suppose I could take the other boards out and look for more visibly blown components.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  8. starrig

starrig Member

BTW, has anyone found a satisfactory replacement for this machine (in new units)? Web searches indicate that Magnavox and Toshiba both still sell DVD recorders with hard drives. I no longer care about TV Guide, but I do want a machine with a HD and simple editing capabilities.

9. K2SMN

K2SMN Member

------
    I wrote a document about 7 years ago that contains the info you need to do the firmware upgrade, check various parameters, etc. Here's the link:
    "http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm"
    As for other machines... I have tried many other types and brands, but none come even close to the Panasonic units as far as quality, ease of use, good editing abilities, etc. The units I am using these days are the dmr-eh50. If you can find one, grab it!

Roger.

10. starrig

starrig Member

Thanks for that link and the excellent info. I tried to download the firmware zipfile, but got a download error.

11. K2SMN

K2SMN Member

Yeah, I'm having some trouble with that ftp site.

Send me an email and I'll send you a zip file with what you need.
    My email is "Roger@dxcc.com".

Roger.

12. starrig

starrig Member

Has anyone tried the Magnavox MDR513H/F7 or MDR515H? I see them on Amazon for about $400 new or $200 refurbed. They've got good size HDDs and pretty good user reviews.

I thought I saw a Toshiba with a HDD, but now I can't find it again.

13. photoman2

photoman2 Member

14. jhvance

jhvance Member

15. photoman2

photoman2 Member

16. starrig

starrig Member

17. starrig

starrig Member

I haven't given up on the Panasonic, but my efforts to try a firmware update have been stymied by my apparent inability to create a finalized CD in Windows 7. The Panasonic does not seem to recognize the disc; no response to it at all. I can't tell from examining the disc in Windows Explorer whether it's closed or not. And if it's not, I can't find any option to finalize it. I tried making a copy of the disc with Roxio Burn, in hopes that the copy would be finalized, but that's not getting the Panasonic's attention, either.

Okay, I just used your mini-manual to go into Service Mode, and my firmware is 0990DL, which later than the 0970DL that you sent me. So maybe that's why it ignored the disc. (It was updated once or twice during servicing, a few years ago.) Also, the laser in the burner has 287 hours on it. I wonder how long those are good for.

So I guess my only option now to try to save it is to take it apart and look for more visibly damaged components. Or see if there's someone who repairs the things. There are several people advertising repair service on ebay, but as they say just send in the power supply board, my suspicion is they just replace the capacitors known to cause problems.

18. Captpeacock

Captpeacock Member

I was able to get Win7 to make the disc. Mine updated from 0970DL to 0990DL

It should also update the Drive to J134.

Since your firmware is already 0990DL, it ignored your cd.

19. Captpeacock

Captpeacock Member

<<see below>>

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  20. starrig

starrig Member

Well, I've got it stripped down to expose all of the main boards across the bottom of the unit. I can't see any other visibly blown caps, or anything at all out of the ordinary. The one fuse I see is hard to inspect visually, because of colored bands around the glass, but I get continuity when I test it end to end with a meter.

Any other ideas at all about what might cause record failure and audio failure in playback? (If it's the CPU board, than I suppose it's screwed. Unless I can pick up something on ebay.)

There's someone on ebay selling STRG6353 SANKEN INTEGRATED CIRCUIT SWITCHING, which from the picture appears to be IC 1270, the little black rectangular thing located right next to the capacitor C1260. Are these known to be failure points?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012