1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-EH50 + Cable TV = No TVGuide...do I really need a DTV converter box?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by nwflyboy, Feb 22, 2009.

1. nwflyboy

nwflyboy Member

I have a Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVR, fed by an (analog) cable TV (via coax cable - no cable TV "set-top" box). Source is Comcast Cable, in Seattle, WA.

For a couple of years, all was well. Then, back in November, suddenly the TVGuide program listings stopped appearing. At first, I thought this was just the usual reset annoyance (every few months, I'd turn on the DVR, to see the "setup" screen, and I'd have to go through some of the setup again - a pain in the butt, but not a showstopper; I was always able t make things start working again). This time, I tried switching zip codes, leaving it all off for 48 hours, etc., to no avail. I resigned myself to calling Panasonic Support.

I called and spoke with a woman there, and explained what had happened. She immediately told me that it was because of the upcoming digital TV switchover. Hmmmm. I told her I was skeptical. She insisted, and told me to sign up for the government coupons, go buy a DTV converter box, and run the incoming signal through that. I protested that we had cable TV, and that my local cable TV supplier was running ads (incessantly) blithely saying that their subscribers didn't have to do anything, they were all set for the upcoming DTV conversion. She said, no, that the TV Guide listings were carried on a channel that I was receiving (yes, that was what I had heard - on my local PBS channel), but that (as she put it) "the part of the signal with the TV Guide data was already being fed in digital format", and that in order for my DVR to display the TV Guide data, I would need a DTV converter box. I told the Panasonic support woman that as I understood it, the cable signal was already converted to analog, so whatever was coming over that coax cable was nothing but analog -- and that this was in NOvember, and the digital switchover wasn't going to happen until February. I confessed I was skeptical and asked if she was sure. She sighed and said she answered this same question hundreds of times every day, and yes she was sure. She said to go online and get the coupon, then go buy a DTV converter, and all would be restored. OK, I said (still skeptical).

I went online and ordered the coupons. According to the coupon website, I wouldn't get my coupons for another month. OK, I grumbled, I'll be patient (this was before they just ran out of them).

A few days later, I came across this forum, and read about how to do a deeper reset (hold down the power button, wait, repeat). I figured I might as well give that a try, since my coupons wouldn't be coming for a few more weeks.

I went through the reset procedure, and let the DVR off for 24 hours. Next time I turned it on....to my surprise, the TVGuide listings were there! Well, they were there but only extended out for about 3 days. No problem, I thought, it just needs more time to download the listings for the rest of the week, right? I turned the DVR and left it off overnight. Next day, I looked and the listings had not changed - I only had about 2 days of program listings, nothing past that. I left it off again, but no more listings downloaded. OK, I figured I'd try the deep reset again and just let it sit for a few days and download more. But no dice: after a deep reset and 2 days inactive, there were no TVGuide listings at all. I've tried it a couple more times since, and still receive nothing. Hmmm.

I'm still able to watch TV with the signal coming in via cable TV through the DVR and then into the TV. I can even record on the DVR -- the TV signal is still good -- I just get no TVGuide programming info.

I checked with the Macrovision website, and they claim that te TVGuide signal should be live and available in my area (based on zip code and cable TV provider).

OK, so my coupons arrived. I went to a local big-box electronics store and picked up a basic digital TV converter box (a Channel Master D2A). I tried running the cable TV coax cable into that (then into the DVR, then component video into the TV). Nothing - not even a basic TV signal (the DT box appears to be expecting a signal from an antenna). The ChannelMaster converter box looks like junk and I'm planning to return it.

OK, so here are my questions....

1. Was the Panasonic technician telling me the truth? That is, that in order to use the TVGuide feed, do I really need a DTV converter box? This still sounds like she was blowing smoke, but I'm willing to give it a try (although it would be with a different converter box).

1A. If so, how should the hookup go? I have a coax cable coming in from the wall. We have never had a cable TV "set-top box" (and don't want one). Should it go like this:
    coax cable -> DTV converter box -> coax cable -> Panasonic DVR -> component video plugs -> TV set.

2. If a converter box *is* needed, can anyone recommend a good model (or iif not a specific model, what I should look for)?

Sheesh, this stuff should not be such a PITA to get right.

Thanks for any guidance.

2. gone2dogs

gone2dogs Member

I have 2 DMR E85H's and have been doing the same thing you have off and on for a year. Both loose the info but not the channel lineup several times a year, everytime Comcast here in West Virginia does some kind of update. I call them and all they say is rent their equipment and then they will support. Twice I have gone a month and had to call Panasonic. This time they called back and said TVGuide needed me to push the CH up and down on unit at the same time until unit shut off 10 sec's then wait and turn back on and go thru setup - turn off and leave alone for 24hrs ( this wipes out the unit channels and everything)then TV Guide should download over night, call back if it failed. It failed I called back 5/2 they said now wait 48 hrs. then call back later. Called back 5/4 and they are saying everything will have to be resent to TVGuide support will take 5-7 days. I told her I was not at all happy before this at least I had my channels and could timer record now I have nothing. This has been over a month now...

3. factus

factus Member

My DMR-EH50 lost the TV Guide listings some time in April. After some web research I tried several methods, including the channel up/down to do a complete reset. But still nothing (except losing all the channel designations). I contacted Time Warner cable locally (Columbus, OH), and got this response:

I've put the question about a firmware update to Panasonic USA via their email support. I'll keep this thread posted as to their answer.

4. bearde

bearde Member

I would love to hear if anyone has found a solution to this. I have been dealing with this for months. Each company blames the other. Frankly, I pay cable; they should make sure they provide me with the service I am paying for. If the TV guide channel is the problem, the cable company should demand they fix it.

5. factus

factus Member

Panasonic did reply via email that I'm to call their support center. I've not had the time to pursue that. Nor can I understand, if there is a resolve for this, why they can't notify me of the "how to do it" via email. Any detailed instructions would certainly be easier to transmit to the user via written email than talking over the phone. I suspect they want to sell me a fix, perhaps in the form of a firmware upgrade on a disc rather than as a free download. I certainly seems as though this was planned obsolescence on Panasonic's part.

On the other hand, since today's the first day of the digital era, maybe it is a good time to make that phone call.

6. bearde

bearde Member

I received the same e-mail message to call the panasonic service center. But just before I made the call it started working! This leads me to believe that the problem has absolutely nothing to do with Panasonic. I did not touch my DVD recorder other than a click to search for listings once more before I called. And to my surprise it found them! Well, I had many weeks to enjoy my service again.... Oh, but good things never last. About a week ago, it stopped working again. The cable company says they have nothing to do with it. Their only obligation is to send me the TV channels. Everytime I have a problem with a channel they give me the same song and dance. It is the provider not them. The TV On Screen internet sight says everything is working properly on their end. I have yet to get in contact with a real person. I must wait for them to call me. It is like little children claiming the other broke the cookie jar. What I don't get is why aren't more people in an uproar about this? I would appreciate any information to solve this problem once and for all!

7. factus

factus Member

I've never made the call. I've reset the whole machine several times, but the program guide has never reappeared. I pretty much just use it to dub material off my cable company DVR. Obsolete and only a few years old. Thanks Panasonic.

8. bearde

bearde Member

I did not need to reset my machine. A day or two after the last time I complained to the cable company and TV Guide On Screen it began working again. I didn't touch my Panasonic other than to watch stuff I already had recorded. I honestly believe this has absolutely nothing to do with Panasonic. It all started with the transition to digital. I have not been happy with my cable reception (cox communications) since the transition to digital started several months ago ...or has it been a year now.

9. factus

factus Member

Well, the guide is back. Just sort of reappeared when I turned the deck on to dub something off my cable DVR. Took a few tries to figure out which of the NINE channel lineups it offered was the correct one, but now it works and the lineups are full of program information.

10. bg98012

bg98012 Member

Anybody having problems getting listings in Seattle-Comcast-digital? I was getting everything until I re ordered the channels about 4/18/2010. Ever since "no listings". I have reset every way possible. I don't have any time display either, only flashing 12:00 The Panny DMR-E85HS is not finding the TVGOS carrier channel. I can see the cable box (DCT 2000) constantly cycle through the channels. I emailed KIRO (local CBS) who was previously providing the TVGOS...no return email. What A PITA!

11. hillrl

hillrl Member

If you hook up the converter box to the dvdr your tuner in the dvdr becomes useless! I hate that we were forced to get a box through our cable company, Comcast, to continue to see the cable channels we are paying for. If a cable box of any kind, digital or otherwise is connected, the tuner in your vcr or dvr does not work. The dvdr has to remain on channel three at all times to use dvdr. This means any time you want to record something you have to program the recording to channel 3 and must change the converter box to the channel you want to record manually. Not only does this mean you have to be home to manually change channels but it also means you can watch one and record another on the TV. I hope this helps, it's probably not what people want to hear, but unfortunately the true.

12. hillrl

hillrl Member

It isn't technically Panasonic's fault, you are correct on that. I have had this problem for a couple a years now, it started before the conversion for me. Each time Panasonic tried to tell me it was my machine. Each time I explained to them that I have called them many times on this and the fact that I have two machines, same model, and they both don't have the TV Guide and both ended the guide on the same day. I told them the machines work fine just no TV Guide and yes I have reset the machines both ways --1. pushing the power button on for ten seconds until the dvdr comes on 2. hold the ch up and down button together. I wait days and nothing happens except clears out my machine of all programs I had scheduled. They said they have to put in a request to TV Guide to fix it. They have me go into TV Guide settings and give them some error numbers. Usually within a few days it is back up and running and Panasonic always calls about a week later to see if it is back up and running. I'm sure this is just as frustrating to them. I just wish they would put out a permanent fix.

13. factus

factus Member

Mine just sort of started working again several months back. I'd tried all the reset and reboot tricks and tips I'd found on the web (and none of them worked). Apparently Time-Warner just started relaying the signal again and my Panasonic picked it up. Now it shows the full listings all the time.

I too would assume the DTV converter box would NOT help and render the Panasonic's tuner irrelevant. My set up is a TW DVR with a seperate "basic" cable line running into the Panasonic. Both the DVR and the Panasonic are attached to the TV. I do NOT use the Panasonic to control the cable box, but I do have it set up to be able to dub off the cable box to the Panasonic to offload shows I'd like to keep or to burn to DVDR.