1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DVR's

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Capt57, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Capt57

Capt57 Guest

I currently have a Panasonic DMR-E30. My next box will be a DMR-E95HS. This monster has a 160g hdd which will allow up to 284 hours in EP mode. Once I get this one, I'll finally be able to convert all the VHS copies of tv broadcasts. Time to stock up on dvd-ram disks!

Now, if I could figure out a way to put bigger harddrive in it!

If I were really rich, I'd buy the DMR-E500HS! This thing has a 400g hdd and costs about $1500!

2. dzd&cnfzd

dzd&cnfzd Member

I did put a bigger hard drive in mine. It is easy to do on the Panasonic E85H. 5 screws on the case and two on the drive retainer. Easier then most computers. It is right on top.
    Unfortunatly it does not seem to make much of a differenc in the length of time available. Mine had a 120 gb in it and I went to a 160 gig. Available time only went from 52 hours (SP) to 54.5
    I think the may have a jumper of some kind on the board to tell it the maximum size of the drive. If anyone has any other info on this I would apreciate it as I would like to put a 250 gig in the system.

[bold]Anyone know what kind of file system the Panasonic E85H units use on the hard drive[\bold]

3. Capt57

Capt57 Guest

I wonder: what is the size limit for HDs in the 85h? I wonder if there is a limit imposed by the software of the unit?

Have you had any trouble with the new harddrive?

As far as the file system used, best guess would be some form of NTFS?

4. dzd&cnfzd

dzd&cnfzd Member

No it's not NTFS. I had it hooked up to a W2k box running NTFS and it was not recognized. I may try Linux as I know that a lot of the PVR's and Tivo's run Linux. Unfortunatly I don't have a raid driver for the box I use for testing, so it will have to wait until I can spare another unit. Will report my findings back here when I get a chance.

As to the hard drive it is working fine. I think the unit may be subject to the 130 Gb limit that some older system suffer from. I had to load a fix to the registry to get my server to see drives larger than 120 Gb