1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pandora's Battery=UMD disc cannot be read

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by madcorp, Dec 17, 2007.

1. madcorp

madcorp Member

After attempting to use pandora's battery to get my friend's psp (FAT/PSP-1001/TA-082) up to 3.71 M33 from 3.73 OFW, the psp firmware seems to have been corrupted. It would start up with sony logo and then hang at the wavy lines with no xmb. I tried pandora's bettery several times over with both official firmware and m33 with the same results. (Using latest pandoras battery software. despertar cementario/pandora 3.xx by hellcat/OS pandora battery tool) I decided to try the original pandora battery the downgrades to 1.5. (14362_pandora) The downgrade was successful. I was able to update from 1.5 all the way through to 3.52 M33-3. Every time I tried to move to 3.71 M33 though it would react the same way. (hang with no xmb) I decided to leave it at 3.52 M33-3 since that should be suitable for all applications but then I noticed that it was not able to read from UMD disc. (yes, this is a new problem. my friend has never attempted to downgrade before. the psp was bought brand new) I used pandora to downgrade back to 1.50, still the same problem with UMD. I then upgraded to 3.40 OE-A and tried to attempt recovery and unpatch of idstorage key 5 since I planned to no longer use FW1.50. From 3.40 OE-A I was able to successfully update to 3.71 M33-2, however the same UMD problem occurred. I gave up on hacking it and decided to use pandora to go back to 3.71 OFW and then update to see if that would fix it. Once at 3.71OFW, i tried to update to 3.73OFW and recieved the error: "The system cannot be updated. This update data is not applicable for this system. (CTA80000025)". I now have a PSP that is unable to read UMDs and unable to update. (semi-useless) Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone have any tips or ideas on what might have caused this issue?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Try going HERE and follow this guide to just create the Magic memory Stick.

You should already have a Pandora battery so skip that part of the guide. just use the Easy installer guide part to create the Magic Memory Stick. Then install the 3.71 M33-2 firmware to the PSP.

This is usually due to the PSP that is creating the Magic Memory Stick has a custom theme installed onto it. This creating a Magic Memory Stick that will instal a semi-bricked firmware to the PSP your trying to update.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  3. wichozzz

wichozzz Regular member

if you got 1.50 and update to 3.71m33
    and got a problem try to do this
    reboot psp (u know Press R )and go to Recovery Menu
    ((or take out batt and put inside again,then hold R and turn on))
    ...on Recoevry Menu
    go to
    Advanced->
    Format flash1 and reset setting (use this option)
    ...and work great on semi-Brick PSP
    work for me alot of times
    psp fat and slim psp
    really hope this help and fix u problem
    see ya

4. madcorp

madcorp Member

Thanks for the suggestions. True, the PSP that created the magic memory stick did have a custom xmb theme. I have tried creating and using a memory stick with a different PSP with no custom theme. I still recieve the same error. I also tried formatting flash1 using recovery menu. I also tried the tutorial by following the link you gave me. (larrylje). Nothing seems to make a difference.

5. resievol

resievol Member

I am having the same problem.

Little help please??

6. madcorp

madcorp Member

The same problem you say? Do you mean that you have tried all the things I tried and still have the same problem? Or do you just get the UMD error? More details would help. When did you start having this problem?

7. resievol

resievol Member

no my problem occured in a different way but I think it all boils down to my idstorage being screwed...with a good backup of my own im basically stuck to no umd's.

8. simpsim1

simpsim1 Regular member

Sounds like a corrupted idstorage to me. I know that there are ways of fixing it but I've heard that it's not easy. I've never tried it myself. I'm sure that someone more knowledeable than myself would be able to point you in the right direction.