1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pandoras battry and magic mem stick question

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by pixels, Oct 6, 2007.

1. pixels

pixels Member

hi i heard something about the new downgrader well 1 why do you need 2 batteries and 2 it says if your psp is bricked then you dont need two batteries so why cant i just brick my psp and then use only one battery and what else to i need thanks hope for a quick and helpful reply

thanks guys

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You don't need an extra battery if you save the Battery EEPROM. You can convert it back to normal after downgrading/unbricking.

HERE is a guide on creating the Pandora Memory Stick.

3. pixels

pixels Member

thanks but why does the battry have anything to do with downgrading & or unbricking all it does is supply negative and posetive current in a dc format to the psp and what else do i need thanks jeremy

4. pixels

pixels Member

hi also i don't quite have another psp running custom firmware or 1.5 sony firmware what do i do one more thing you said its possible without an extra battery but the guide says you MUST have one can you please tell me how to do it without the extra battery i am not very god at this and also if its possible without another psp
    many thanks

5. pixels

pixels Member

hey every one you dont NEED ANOTHER HOME BREW ENABLED PSP TO CREATE PANDORAS BATTERY

Ok, so you want to unbrick or downgrade your PSP but don't have a PSP capable of running homebrew apps. No problem! In this tutorial I will show you how to modify the battery's hardware to make it activate service mode.

This is our victim. Please note that while this concept may work on non-Sony batteries, only official batteries are guaranteed to have the same internals, so we recommend using one.

STEP 1:

The first thing you need to do is obviously crack open the battery. Surprisingly, the battery isn't very hard to get in to. In this picture you can see that I'm just using a guitar pick to slide in through an edge and slide around the perimeter of the battery to seperate the two halves.

STEP 2:

Next, we need to locate a certain chip. The chip has the model number S93C56 printed on it. We are going to need to desolder pin 5 and lift it off of the board. Here is a magnified view of the board, which shows where the chip is and which pin needs to be lifted.

Newer batteries have a much smaller board with a different layout. The same chip needs to have the pin lifted, but the chip is in a different position. Once you've located chip S93C56, the rest of the instructions are basically the same. This has been confirmed with the 2200 mAH Official Sony battery.

STEP 3:

If you are not confident in your soldering skills, have a less than steady hand or have a larger-than-optimal sized tip, please desolder the cell pack from the battery first. If you make contact between pins 5 and 6 then you will short ground to +3.6VDC! Not good! When desoldering the cell, only keep the iron on long enough to melt the solder. If you can, use a higher wattage iron so that the tip will be hotter, but you won't transfer as much heat to the cell pack. Remember that heat + Li-Ion battery = large explosion (t3h sux0r5, unless you get in on video. Twisted Evil Seriously though, this operation is not for the faint hearted, and should definitely not be your first soldering experience. I recommend trying your hand on lifting the pins on an N64 CPU chip. Surely if you spend enough time here you have a couple killed N64 mobos laying around. Razz)

Now is actually desoldering the pin. There are a few ways you could do this, but I think my method is the best because its less likely to damage components near by. Use an Xacto knife with a sharp tip and try to put it underneath the pin. Get somebody to hold a soldering iron (WITH A VERY FINE CONICAL TIP!) on the pin. When the solder melts you can pop the pin up with the knife. Be sure not to hold the iron on the board too long to avoid the lithium battery from getting too hot and exploding. When your done it will look something like this.

STEP 4:

Finally, close the battery's casing. Use some Krazy Glue to keep it closed, or just use electrical tape around the edges like I did. I don't actually recommend the electrical tape as it makes the battery very snug in the compartment and it takes a bit of force to get it out. You can use the battery just like a regular Pandora's battery. As for getting the Memory Stick files, I can tell you that they are out there and you can find them after a bit of Googling. However, I can't tell you exactly where to find them as they contain copyrighted Sony code, and sharing them is illegal.

How does this work?

The pin that we just lifted was actually the ground pin of the EEPROM. Removing this pin effectively shuts off the EEPROM. When the microcontroller inside the battery tries to read the EEPROM, it will think the EEPROM contains all 1s (in binary). This is because of the pull-up resistors on the data lines. So the microcontroller returns a serial number of 0xFFFFFFFF to the PSP, which then goes into service mode.

Thank you for reading this,

thanks iam7805 for dedicating this pice of briliant work to people like us who need this kinda help specialy when you live in a stupid country like i do people havent even heard of a psp battry have fun
    WHAT I HAVE TO SAY
    VERY IMPORTANT MORE THAN ANY THING ELSE

remember don't over heat the battery also is you bend up the pin and keep moving it up and down several times the pin breaks and your screwed you cant re solder the pin to disengage service mode so bend over the particular pin just to make sure it is not contacted with the circuit and re solder it back don't bend it back completely just enough to make it not touch the circuit if you haven't done this type of things don't try it and more important if you scratch the circuit tiny strips of copper (the little lines on the circuit) which carry current you are F@#$9ed cuz they break and you will not have the contact specially if you break an important one and since i haven't opened mine yet i cant tell you which is important the best is don't touch the circuit and don't scrape the circuit with the soldering iron
    don't experiment by changing wires adding bulbs just to see what happens do not short circuit any components in the battery pack just coz you like to see sparks (some people think its cool) sometimes any damage alternations to the battery except what is mentioned in this post can damage your console
    have fun