1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pandora's Failed Situation: Hardware or Software Problem?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Rugarai, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Rugarai

Rugarai Member

Good day everyone. I want to make this message short but it seems like I need to put a lot of detailed information for everyone to know my problem but first I'll post how it failed and a question if it's a hardware or a software issue.

Here's how it started. After much anticipation of the release of the ultimate "unbricker." I tried reviving my fully bricked PSP using a Pandora's battery and Magic Memory stick Combo. The Pandora's battery and M.Memory stick creator works good and are easily installed in the appropriate places but the real problem starts in the last part of the process; where it tells you to "take out the P.battery replace it with the normal battery and restart psp" followed by another message which tells you to "press x, restart manually". After doing the process, I restarted my psp and the green light turns on, the memory stick doesn't blink or activate and what seems to be a message, flashes quickly and then turns black and that's it.
    If I turn it off and on(green light on) again, the message doesn't flash anymore but it still shows the black screen. I'm going to confirm to you guys that I have pressed the brightness and volume settings and still nothing happened.
    I just found out, that the flashing message is just the message that I previously had, before restarting the psp(the last part of the pandora's process).

Do you guys think that this situation is a Hardware or a Software problem?
    -I have extensively searched the internet for 2 weeks now, for possible solutions and have tried a lot of different methods possible through use of pandora and M.memory stick combo but still nothing works. Here's what I did so far:

*Manual creation of Pandora's battery and Magic Memory Stick through "cmd". I have tried this method more than 5 times and each time I did this, I checked the "msinst" and "mispl" if they're correctly placed or installed. This didn't work. I've also used different guides to help me install it manually.
    *Used Pandora's GUI, downloaded from qj.net to do the work; didn't work.
    *Used Pandora's Box, which is another GUI downloaded from psphacks, still didn't do the job.

I don't know what I did wrong or if I have missed a process or a step. All I know is, I have done my best to fix it, any advice or help would be good. Here's what I used by the way:
    -Laptop OS: Windows XP
    -Functional PSP with CFW M-33
    -Fully bricked PSP with 3.70-3.71 FW
    -2 GB MS Pro Duo, Sandisk(Original)
    -2 Original PSP batteries
    -PSP motherboard:TA-079

Hope I didn't leave out any info. and thanks in advance to the afterdawn community. I'll post some pics later on for future references.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  2. drakex

drakex Regular member

Try it agian, but dont remove the battery before you press x, after the PSP is shut down then remove and replace the battery... try to get the Universal Unbricker, otherwise you will need to do it the hard way... open up the PSP and with the battery create a short to the mainboard, be carefull this might burn the PSP mobo, I did this and fixed a PSP that was totally bricked, BUT remember you might damage the PSP.

3. Rugarai

Rugarai Member

Oh I forgot to mention that I already did the first suggested solution: "Try it again but don't remove the battery..." that thing, but I'm gonna try the Universal Unbricker first and if worst comes worst. I'll try your third suggestion; although I'd prefer a less invasive procedure and it's rather dangerous to the psp.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Again, I used these to unbrick the psp:
    -Laptop with OS: Windows XP
    -Functional PSP with CFW M-33
    -Fully bricked PSP with 3.70-3.71 FW
    -2 GB MS Pro Duo Sandisk(original)
    -2 original PSP batteries

4. Rugarai

Rugarai Member

Never mind folks the problem is solved; I used the Universal Unbricker files that drakex suggested to do the job and it worked. It seems like the other files that I've used, downloaded from qj.net and psphacks.com are outdated. I suggest to everyone to use the Universal Unbricker which more up to date.

Thanks again to the Unbricker team, to drakex and to the afterdawn community for helping.

5. drakex

drakex Regular member

Great to hear that it worked, you are welcome.