1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pan's Labyrinth ,No audio, Need help

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Rick6, May 10, 2007.

1. Rick6

Rick6 Regular member

I've been playing with this for the last two hours.

Has anyone had any luck backing this one up?

2. dvdchick

dvdchick Regular member

3. Rick6

Rick6 Regular member

I tried the latest version of DVD Fab and it didn't work. I just started to run it through Ripit4me and have my doubts about that working. This movie is not in English. However the director's comments are in English. Which makes no sence to me at all. When I first tried Shrink I had to click on the Spanish audio because I have a defult setting on shrink. Or at least I thought I did. I can't seem to find where to go now to set up the defult settings on shrink for the language choices. Or was that only on a older version of shrink?
    Also, in order to play this on my computer I had to download something called InterActual in order to get it to even play. I am wondering if this has something to do with the problems I've been having. It's not a sony movie.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Rick6

4. Rick6

Rick6 Regular member

No Luck with Ripit4me.

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

what is the error you are getting with DVDFab and RipIt4Me?

i dont think you have to install that player to be able to play the dvd, it should play in VLC player.

6. Rick6

Rick6 Regular member

First I don't know what a VLC player is. But it played fine in two of my DVD players.
    Here's what I discovered. When I was trying to back it up with shrink, I was also checking the audio. And that was my mistake. After running it through VobBlanker and finding there was still no audio commimg through shrink I decieded to back it up anyway. And guess what , It played fine in the DVD player. The audio was there like it should be. I confess that I don't understand why I couldn't get the audio to play back in the shrink program. I'm stumped...

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  7. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Yep......Whatcha need to do is use SlySoft's CloneDVD. This movie (Pan's Labyrinth) was really, really, tricky but I was able to back it up after some lengthy trial and era (Coasters). You'll need to remove "the director's commentary" and replace it with the spanish audio (check the box next to it) which seems to go unchecked when attempting to back up this title? "Apocalypto" does the same thing but with this title you cannot alter the start structure as AnyDVD and RipIt4me invites you to do as an option to avoid trailers and warnings. Do not use this option with "Apocalypto". You will not need to remove the director's commentary CloneDVD will do the transcoding for you.:p
    Oh, I backed the title up to my hard drive 1st using Vob Blanker 2.1.3.0b4 (I know it's not the latest version, but it works). You shouldn't need to back up PL to your hard drive just make the necessary changes in CloneDVD.:p

8. Rick6

Rick6 Regular member

Thanks N2DVD for that. It should prove helpful for next time.
    Was "Apocalypto" any good?

9. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Yeah...it was a great flick considering none of the movies stars are "real" actors and are truly common natives indigenous to the land where the movie was filmed. This movie is also subtitled and again a good watch.:p

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  10. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

Pan's Labyrinth I used RipIt4Me then made the changes to the audio in DVD Rebuilder.

11. dvdchick

dvdchick Regular member

i had no trouble with this movie useing dvdfab and shrink...

12. Pete0803

Pete0803 Member

This may be a dumb question, but I always click off the foriegn languages when copying movies. If you clicked off the Spanish language (Which is the language of the movie) this may be why. Nope never mind I checked mine that I just did and guess what....no sound either

13. Rick6

Rick6 Regular member

When I previewed the movie on shrink I too had no sound. But when I went ahead and burned it , the sound track was there. So maybe you should give it a try .. Let me know what happens.

14. ebega

ebega Regular member

I'm currently encoding this movie with DVD-RB Pro and CCE SP, but I did notice a couple of things that may be giong wrong. First of all, of course, is there are only spanish audio tracks, so make sure your program isn't deselecting these by default (mine did, I just had to enable the track I wanted). Second, the first Spanish 6 channel audio track I noticed was the DTS track, the second 6 channel is the DD track, the DD track is also the track that plays first by default and the one that most of you are going to want to select. If you are simply choosing the first track, you are choosing DTS, and you may need to use the "audio" button on your DVD remote to change to this audio track. However, you will still not hear any audio unless your DVD player is connected to a DTS audio decoder, even though the track is recorded to your compressed copy.
    This could also be why some are not hearing the audio through your computers but do hear it in your home theater systems. Anyways, I'll keep everyone updated as to the outcome of the back-up that I am currently doing. I'll also throw one through Shrink just to see if it is a Shrink problem.

edit: Just checked both copies, one done with DVD-RB and the other with Shrink, and both have full audio. BTW, movie was ripped with newest DVDFab HD Decrypter.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  15. Rick6

Rick6 Regular member

Thanks Ebega,, Good going,

16. ripper82

ripper82 Member

For some reason, using DVDFab HD version 3096 and then opening with Shrink gave me garbage (the main movie seemed to be all blank). Then I re-ripped with the old DVDFab (pre-HD) version 3080, and when I opened that with Shrink, it worked just fine. And none of the audio problems you guys mentioned either.

17. jwg30

jwg30 Member

Suggested consideration: I used latest version of AnyDvd & CloneDVD and be sure to select Spanish in the audio. The secret for my viewing was after 1/2 hour of searching on the DVD Player for the proper setup combination, this is what worked: Use the last audio selection option.....click on subtitles then resume movie. In my case it was necessary to select subtitles on with my DVD player's remote. Frankly, the movie is not worth backing up nor is its purchase!

18. Shardel

Shardel Guest

This movie only has either director's commentary or spanish language
    with English subtitles. The reason the audio would play in the DVD
    player and not on the computer has something to do with the DVD
    player having a DTS decoder and for licensing reasons my computer
    would not play it because it didn't have a DTS decoder. The audio
    is on the backup disc when you burn it.
    I agree the movie isn't worth the hassle or the purchase price.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

no problems whatsoever with RI4M, dvdremake, rb/cce, and imgburn. perfect backup 1st attempt.

ebega hit the nail on the head as to probably why most are having audio problems. select 6 ch AC3 spanish and deselect DTS if you don't have a DTS decoder. I like DTS for the dynamic range even if the spoken language is in spanish. be sure to select the english subtitle if you don't speak spanish.

20. Rick6

Rick6 Regular member

Thanks Shardel

I think your right on that one. It's a good thing to remember for future problems.