1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paper type for DVD covers

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by phorsfi, Oct 14, 2004.

1. phorsfi

phorsfi Member

Guys, looking to see what kind of paper you use for DVD covers. I've been using HP Premium Glossy Photo paper because it's what I had around but it seems to stick to the clear plastic cover on the cases...

Is there a good paper (cardstock or light, coated paper) that would give good results (glossy, good photo quality) ?? without the sticking?

Sofar I've found this forum *Very* helpfull, cant thank everyone enough...

2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Hello mate, welcome aboard. Personally, i use 120g pure white zerox paper, holds the colours really well, dries quickly too. Hope this helps.

Dene

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i use canon gloss 180 and 210 gsm Its for my canon image class MPC190 Printer/copier/scanner.The quality is very good and most times equals the original covers
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "I wish people who have trouble communicating would just
    shut up."[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2004
  4. forkndave

forkndave Member

I use Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper. It works good for me. It's not glossy, but you can't tell the difference after it's inserted behind the plastic sleeve. HP Premium presentation paper also works good. These are both coated papers and the color saturation is very similar to glossy paper. The Epson paper is 27# and the HP paper is 32# weight. The HP paper is slightly cheaper due to 150 sheets in a package and it is coated on both sides. Either works very well for me. The Epson and the HP are both around $13.00 For 100 sheets (Epson) and 150 sheets (HP). The Epson can be mail ordered from epson.com and is available in A4 size from them. Otherwise, they are both available at Staples and other office supply stores in 8.5 X 11" size.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Soyo KT-600 Ultra Platinum, XP 3000+, 1024 MB PC 3200
    160 GB Maxtor SATA, 250 GB Maxtor SATA
    Lite-On LDW 411S@811S, Lite-On SOHD 167T, Pioneer A07
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  5. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

If you want to cut the cost from using name brand paper, I have found that Staples' "Premium Photo Paper" works great on my Lexmark Optra Color 45.
    I would judge it to be a semi-gloss, perfect for CD/DVD covers.

6. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

el cheapo Typing paper for moi dvd covers.. Lexmark X125 devours color carts printing cd/dvd covers , anyway I found that plain ole typing paper works fairly well.. takes the colors pretty good takes some tyme to dry tho.

7. Neuro42

Neuro42 Guest

If you have an epson printer, use epson paper..
    If you have an HP printer use HP paper.

Most of these companies (just like new car companies) dont design their equipment for competitors brands. (Hence why refills and stuff void warranties ;) )

Since they use different ink technologies, the paper undoubtedly reflects it. (yeah I used to work at staples selling Computers and tech ;) )

8. forkndave

forkndave Member

I have an Epson R300 printer and Epson or HP paper work equally well. I actually prefer the HP paper since it is slightly cheaper and is coated on both sides.

9. chaoz

chaoz Member

Are there any paper that's the exact size of a DVD cover?
    I don't want to cut it to size everytime, and it don't look all that good.

10. forkndave

forkndave Member

Yes, you can buy case inserts. Memorex and some other brands are available. I tried some Memorex once and didn't like them because they didn't seem to be made out of coated apper. Sort of drab looking. Use coated paper and a paper cutter and they look fine. I initially cut mine with sissors and they did look terrible because I can't cut a straight line.

11. forkndave

forkndave Member

Incidentally, I have found another paper that works pretty good for case labels. It's HP Everyday Semi Glossy paper. It's not as thick as most glossy papers and seems to dry much quicker. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it was less than $20.00 for 100 sheets. I find I have to set my printer for premium glossy paper for it to print right. At first I set it for glossy paper and it looked terrible. With the premium glossy setting it looked very good. It's also not so bad at sticking to the plastic as other glossy papers I've tried to use.

12. fugazi73

fugazi73 Member

I tend to avoid the fancy "dvd cover paper" that you can buy. The ink doesn't seem to take well to them (just my experience). I use a 28-lb glossy stock inkjet paper. Which produces excellent results and doesn't stick to the dvd case/cover. Hope this helps ..