1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Par2 Files

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mpierce12, Jan 23, 2005.

1. mpierce12

mpierce12 Member

I transferred a pc game from my buddy and I got 3 rar archives. Once I extract the files into a folder, they turn into Par2 files. What do I do to get the files converted so I can play the game? TIA.

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

par files are for filling in missing pieces of an archive. google quick par, download and install it. then click on one of your par2 files. the program will run, and if you're luck you might have enough blocks to reconstruct the game. if you do, click repair, if not, the files are useless unless you get more of them.

3. mpierce12

mpierce12 Member

I ran quickpar and it said no repair needed. Now what? There's no .exe or anything.

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

if it said that, then you must have some rar files that contain the game. extract those files and burn/mount the game.

5. mpierce12

mpierce12 Member

I got the game in a folder that contained 3 .rar archives. Inside each .rar file there was a number of par2 files. That's it. Just the par2 files. Am I supposed to compress those par2 files somehow?

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

no, the only purpose of par2 files is for reconstructing an archive(ie a game that is rar'ed and split). by them selves they are useless.

when you run quickpar, on the top of the screen, it should list all the par files that it has analyzed. Under that, it should have the rar.00x files that make up the archive proper. Those are the files that contain the game. The par2's only fill holes in the archive.