1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

paranoid - will isp or M$ know I have shrink installed?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by joe5, Nov 11, 2004.

1. joe5

joe5 Member

Hi gang -

The record industry seems to launch hundred's of suits against individuals they suspect of copywright infringement. If you're tagged, it seems you must just pay - I don't know...

I'm more interested in keeping the fact that I have DVD Shrink installed on my machine a secret. I know occassionally I get a pop-up implying that my system specs and software(!) are being sent to microsoft so they can better serve me - I can't remember when this is done, maybe during a service patch or something.

I've responded by keeping DVD Shrink on a non-internet connected machine. I don't want to have to go to court and prove that my use of Shrink is for copying/back-ups are for mini-van and playroom use, etc! If microsoft or an ISP needs to give the motion picture group a list of everyone they know who has DVD Shrink installed, I don't want to be on that list and deal with the hassle.

I now want to connect to the net so I can surf the web, use the mahcine as a PVR, connect to itunes, etc... Are my concerns valid? - Is there something I should do programmatically to protect myself?
    Thanks all!
    "Joe"
    ~well, not really joe but damn - see how paranoid I am!

2. HelloWrld

HelloWrld Member

OF COURSE they are valid! We all have the same concerns at one point or another. God knows I do. Now this is by no means legally correct or possibly even accurate, but i'm gonna give you my knowledge, and people can refine it from there is I'm not right.

This is true...but only if you're [bold]sharing[/bold] files over P2P networks. EFF.org has plenty of guides to shut off file sharing on p2p programs. The RIAA can [bold]not[/bold] prove that the mp3's you have aren't rips from CDs you own, or even that the files you download aren't the same songs you own...but if you share files with others, with people that you don't know if they have bought those songs or not...that's not allowed, and by monitoring the p2p networks, they can track you down if you file share...thus screwing you over.

well it's out in the open now... :)

It happens when one of your programs performs an illegal operation. As a general rule, don't send anything to Microsoft...because personally identifiable info is in there. They say there isn't, I just don't trust Microsoft.

I'm pretty sure just downloading Shrink (if you're in the US) is illegal, no matter how you use it.

As far as proving that you use it...I have heard tales about a M$ Anti-Piracy Team, and that the technology to search your computer is built into XP...but I don't have any lawsuits to back it up. It may be a complete myth.

Jeez...I wrote all this, but I can't think a bottom line for you...I want you to know that there is risk involved, but if you don't do anything stupid, you should be ok. There, that was my conclusion. [bold]Don't let me be the only one to comment here, someone else needs to mention if I'm wrong on a point or two...and tell me if I'm right, I don't want Joe to follow my advice and then get fucked over.[/bold]

Good luck finding your answer, Joe.
    -EMAN

3. swervin

swervin Regular member

I think what you are seeing with the pop ups being sent to Microsoft is error reporting. If you have XP, go into Control Panel and click System, Advanced, Error Reporting tab, and shut it off. I could care less if Microsoft knows what errors their junk software is causing, let alone know anything about what other software I'm running. It's nobody's business what I have on my computer.

Mike

4. towell

towell Member

Don’t worry about MS and DVD Shrink... it's got nothing to do with MS that your running software that may be illegal in your country... the only thing you'll see them bothing about is if you've got a legitimate version of there software...

I'd be more worried about your ISP tracking your down load’s. As far as I know every thing you download is saved to a log file with your ISP... sounds pritty logical as every thing that goes though them before it comes to you. Certain ISP's have build in antivirus software for there customers or build in SPAM blockers for there email system. So these ISP's have already got software in place scanning the files your download for virus's, I don’t see why they wouldn't have a log file of the files it's scanned etc.

The thing is... it's bad publicity for a ISP to arrange for one of it's customer to be sued for downloading music on there 1MB like they advertise on the TV as being far downloading music... see what I’m getting at.

Company's like RIAA might find your IP appearing a P2P network. You'd definitely be an unlucky one as there's still millions of user's connecting to all of them every day.

I'd say just stay away from the big one like Kazaa and Morpheus ETC. These are the ones that they target as they have a proper company to sue and attack.

You can also get P2P that hides your IP address, so you could give one of them a try!

Also there's programs like Bit Torrent that don’t use a Network as such... you kind of connect to the User directly. It does show you IP on this software but they don’t have a company behind the network to attack for letting illegal files to be shared.

You can download programs like Peer Guardian that have updated lists of IP address from these companies like RIAA. These block them from connecting to you and from you connecting to them.

I'd just be careful and make sure you have firewalls, virus scanners and spyware/adware scanners installed so you don’t have little programs reporting on your Internet use etc.

If your that parinode, disconnect your internet then MS wont know didley!! :p

Have a nice day, stay safe :p

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If you live in Russia, you're out of luck. ;) But in the U.S., there are laws which protect against entrapment as well as privacy laws. Just because you download DVD Shrink does not make it a crime where the FBI will kick down your door and raid your home. In any case, the FBI have bigger fish to catch like the professional organized crime syndicates who make 1000s of bootleg copies of commercial DVDs for sale. Even I don't like that and hope they crack down on it because it just adds to the price of movie tickets and DVDs. The MPAA is moving in the right direction by lowering DVD prices. I was in Best Buy the other day and they had some very good movies for as low as $5.99. At that price, it's not even worth the time or cost to copy especially at $10 each for a D/L blank that comes with no jacket.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

There's no way that the RIAA knows if you have DVD Shrink OR any other proggy on your PC unless you tell them. With normal Anti-Virus proggy that you need to have if you touch the Internet and a "Cheapo" firewall - Which everybody should have to protect against viruses, No one knows what you have.

It's a numbers thing. Sure your IP's are a place where everything you get must be channeled through BUT to keep a log on everyone for everything is possible but to what end ? It would be like "tracking" every $100.00 bill. It could be done – to see where it went and was it used to buy drugs but then who has the time to search through something that large for a transgressions that small ?

I don't think that 1984 is here yet - Who knows, maybe soon But I don't think quite yet.

Lastly, another question comes to mind, how do they prove you used Shrink to rip a DVD instead of compressing your daughter's dancing classes ?

7. askyew

askyew Regular member

Uh I am pretty sure that microsoft cruising around your hardrive would be an invasion of privacy and grounds for a major civil suit. Bring it on MS, .....start thinking of new names
    ..........askyewsoft?.......microyew?.....askyewdows?

8. HelloWrld

HelloWrld Member

Pete and yew brought up good points. The more I think about it, I think that whole thing about Microshaft being able to scan your harddrive was probably some hoax. I can't find anything on the topic.

-EMAN

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

One thing I am sure of, they can't scan your PC - Now, moving on - where could a bottleneck occur ? Your service providor is the only answer - and The file would be INCREDIABLY HUGE -

Could it exist, hey anything is possible, could a filter be set up to look for specific keywards ? Yes, but why ? Better to spend time and money hunting those who threaten this country or the president - I think we're too small to matter and,

that's my 2 cents -

10. S2K

S2K Regular member

"I'm pretty sure just downloading Shrink (if you're in the US) is illegal, no matter how you use it. "

This is completely wrong.

1) Downloading DVD shrink is not illegal in the US
    2) Using DVD shrink is not illegal in the US
    3) For personal use backing up owned copies of CSS films for the purpose of backup, removal of commercials, compression, or use in other format devices is claimed to be presumtively legal and presumptively illegal. This means no one has EVER been prosecuted or successfully sued for doing so. The MPPA asserts that the specific provision in the DMCA which seems to exclude the DMCA from impinging on existing legal backup privildedges somehow does not apply.

A lot of intentionally overbroad langage is used to chill behavior. for example the RIAA and the MPAA say people "downloading" have been sued. Actually this has never happened. people uploading have been sued.

11. blakeas

blakeas Member

well shoooot - I use Morpheus for downloads - I only download a couple of things from time to time - But hell...i dont want to be on a radar screen somewhere - What should i use? I tried bitorrent but with me having a router, firewalls, etc - it became too complicated for me to use it, So i guess i am asking what site i should use if not kazaa or morpheus?

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Turn off your filesharing. I don't think you'll get any legal trouble unless you are letting people have access to or selling copies of music, movies, or games. The only people I see busted are people getting caught with like $100,000 or more worth of media and usually it's on their harddrive. Burn it to a disc and get it off the hard drive, that's my motto. I'm actually more worried about buying huge quantities of media online. I've been doing it for a while, but last time I bought a bunch of DVD-Rs online I ended up getting spam and pop ups for DVD copying software. Obviously someone knows.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That's called coincidence. There's no way Jose that your SPAM is linked to your media purchase – Otherwise pple wouldn't be buying anything because their personal information was getting out. If your order info was out then most likely your credit card was too. Naaahhhh, that's not happening -

14. askyew

askyew Regular member

He might have spyware reporting his surfing habits to a spammer.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Absolutely, but one is certain, the spyware wasn't installed by the online store. If pple found spyware from a store on their PC, the word would spread and no one would ever buy from them again. I run Ad-Aware at least 2X a week and when I buy online there's never a Data Miner from a store there. There are Data Miners installed here at aD many times when you click on an inter-forum link but nothing from the likes of Mertline or Newegg.