1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.PART file resuming download

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by plz69ansa, Apr 18, 2007.

1. plz69ansa

plz69ansa Member

Okay I know Firefox automatically creates a .PART file when anything is downloaded. Now my question is if it creates this file (which I am yet to find a practical use for) can this file be used to restore one of my interrupted downloads.

Because heres the deal I downloaded this file off rapid share & my computer crashed during the download and I'm stuck with this .PART file which I assumed could just be opened in Firefox & my download would resume....no, this is not the case at all!

So can someone please suggest a program or anything (not command prompt stuff) that I can use to resume my download.

PS. I am using Firefox 2.0.0.3, I don't want a download manager, I don't want wget or any other command prompt program I just want a simple .exe or plug-in for Firefox. The main point of this post is not find a quick way to download this file because I can just go download it again, it is more so I have a solution next time the download screws up & I'm left with a .PART file.

PPS. I also don't want a detailed encyclopedia definition of what a .PART file is & an example of strings (yes, thats you indochine, no offense man your great).

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I think Indochine's points from your rar thread still stand that this is part of a whole file, and you're not going to be able to download the rest and then put them together, or anything like that.

However, I may be wrong there.

3. plz69ansa

plz69ansa Member

oh sorry ripper if you thought I was referring to my other thread, this is a brand new download I just want to know if I can use a .PART file to resume my broken download.

thanks anyway

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I know you were, and my answer is no, probably not as the same theorys most likely apply to PART files as they do RAR files.

5. plz69ansa

plz69ansa Member

ha ha! I see where your coming from now.

Though but seriously does anyone know if there is way to use .PART files to resume broken downloads?