1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partition Help

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Vietfobby, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Vietfobby

Vietfobby Member

ive searched the forums for my answer and i found [this thread] but i didnt really find the answer there so im gonnna ask here. ok heres the story...i had two partitions, a primary (c:) and a logical (g:). i wanted to "restore" my comp with the recovery disc that came with the comp because it has been lagging for a while now (months maybe?) but i didnt know if my (g:) drive would be gone or not. i set it to primary then rebooted my comp. i then burned partitionmagic 8.02 on a cd then rebooted and did my thing with the restore cd's. after the xp registration and all that, i booted up the comp and went to "my computer" but the (g:) drive was gone! it had ALL of my music too!! i installed partitionmagic and it didnt show it!!! ahhh!!

so my question is
    1. wut did i do wrong
    2. how do i restore my comp while still keeping the other partition afterwards (does it have to be primary or something)
    3. if i have an xp bootable install disc and install it on my (c:) drive, will it delete my (g:) drive too? if so, how can i prevent that
    4. on the other thread, it said something about "quick-format" during xp installation. wut does that mean and do i have to do that if i install xp with bootable install disc

2. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Just thought I would try to help you as no one else has.

I guess you created the extra partition ?

Basically the restore program that comes with the PC takes no account of partitions you have created. It basically resets the PC back to the condition it was in when you bought it.

You need a copy of Norton Ghost. Create your partition then ghost your nice clean C: partition to an image on your D: partition.

In win XP - I guess you are using - you can change the drive letters around - except C: go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management

If you need to subsequently restore - all you do is restore the image on D: back to C: (You can't create or restore an image to the same drive as the one you are imaging).

Quick Format is it sounds - still formats the file table instead of the whole drive - same effect to you.

As for your lost files a very good product is Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional v.6.0

It can find files that have been formatted or deleted as long as the area hasn't been overwritten as your G: partition is likely to be at the end of your hard drive - it is likely that you stand a good chance of recovering at least some of them.