1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partitioning

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ngamla77, Nov 4, 2007.

1. ngamla77

ngamla77 Member

Yebo

Guys can you explain the advatages of partitioning my hard drive? I want to formatt it as I am experiencing slowness with my PC.

Ngamla77

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well you can partition it in half, and have one partition be a backup space, or you can partition just a part where you're putting windows on, so Windows will run faster.

3. ngamla77

ngamla77 Member

What could be the maximum size on the HDD for allocating the XP SP2. My total space is 80gb.

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well you could split it in half, so you can have 40gigs for your xp and other main stuff, like documents etc, and then have the other 40gigs be as a backup, or have it store all of your documents, videos, music etc.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

One major advantage of partitioning and putting your OS on a smaller partition and using the rest for storing your files is, if for some reason, you cn't boot up and have to format the partition with the OS on it, you don't lose your data on the other partition.

6. jony218

jony218 Guest

With windows xp, I always make it a 20gb partition. I load only the important programs on the C:\program files, all large games/ programs I load it on the D:\data partititon. It works good that way.

7. ngamla77

ngamla77 Member

ok guys!

Now, what are the step by step conditions for partitioning. I am not best at that?? How do I formatt that would be partitioned drive??

ngamla77

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It all depends on what you are doing. If you are installing Windows XP, you can do it at the screen where it asks you where you want XP installed. There is an option there for making partitions, I think.

If you are partitioning a hard drive that doesn't have the OS on it, you can use Disk Management to do it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  9. ali2007

ali2007 Guest

Guys can you explain the advatages of partitioning my hard drive? I want to formatt it as I am experiencing slowness with my PC

increase your ram or just defragment your drive, your pc speed should slightly increased

10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

just buy a 10 000RPM HDD or the 15 000RPM one...that would solve your problem...joke

ok partitioning is not really good for your HDD tho...ali2007 is right more RAM and defragment your drive...

Um what HDD do you have? IDE or SATA?