1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

password in xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Oct 26, 2012.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have a issue that many people have had. Namely how does an owner of any computer, in this case an HP desktop, reload the OS when the original cd is not available and cannot be bought anywhere? Even HP does not have an order form for this model. I have 3 HP DC7700 towers. All 3 are password protected. A number of questions follow.

I DID create a new password for myself so I could gain access. I prefer NO password. The default password, now changed, was "ADMINISTRATOR" as displayed on the log on screen. Simple yet annoying. Is there a way to REMOVE this password and the one I created so the desktop is now accessable WITHOUT a password? If yes how do I do that? Can I simply remove the PASSWORD jumper on the board? Wait and then replace it? Will that remove the password so I have access to the desktop?

Can I use my DELL CD to reload the OS? I tried it but I got a "NON GENUINE" error from the auto phone system when I tried to activate it. The displayed ID CODE was rejected, hence the error. In the past I have used my DELL cd on a DELL any model/vintage, to start over to fix issues and remove the annoying password. Drivers are not an issue. I have no one I can borrow a cd from let alone burn a copy. I do not know how nor do I have the drive or software. I am sure my standalone DVD recorders cannot read DATA CDs.

If I remove my ADMINISTRATOR account will that give me access? The page says an ADMINISTRATOR cannot delete his own account, nor are the steps given. Only another ADMINISTRATOR can do that.

Where can I get an HP version of XP PRO installation CD? I cannot find one anywhere. If I insert my DELL CD would not the MS process display instead of the DELL process? DELL inserted into a NON DELL? BOTH processes are on the CD.If yes can I use any of these HP COAs when asked? This is a common issue. I cannot believe this has to be so complicated. Blame MS for that.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yeah it's not hard to do just use hirens boot cd & remove password however since you have created an admin account you should be able to remove the passwords on any other account,if you want to remove an account thats an admin you have to create another admin account & login into it then modify or delete the other account.The other option is get hold of a oem xp install disc use that to reinstall the OS & use the license numbers from the sticker that is stuck on the d77,however you will need to check hp's website for what version of xp was originally installed from factory & use the same TYPE OF OEM disc to reinstall,so if it was xp with service pack 1a then a disc of the same would be required,if it was xp with service pack 2 then an OEM disc of xp sp2 would be required,you may get a iso from a torrent or another option find a crack for xp & get an iso that's not been modified

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

title edited.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I DID use my DELL cd moving the SATA drive to my secondary using a cable adapter to avoide activation. The cd is xp pro sp2. The same cd installed the OS on ALL my DELLS. I then moved the SATA back to the D77. fired up right away. I also used the same cd in the D77 to install. At the activation screen I used the D77 COA to activate. Did this 2 more times to have spare hdds handy. I know the COA is not to be used more than once but since I was loading 3 hdds I did anyway. NO errors displayed. The second and third COA from 2 more D77s were rejected. Using either of my 2 copies of the cd. Both legit DELL branded. If MS bitches I'll deal with them.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You'll be lucky if you don't get your key flagged as pirated,activation isn't just about the OS,it also collects your hardware config along with serial numbers this then is sent to ms, any future hardware changes are automatically sent in the back ground periodically when the comp is on the internet to microsoft,so they know when & what changes are made,your dell discs are irrelevant to this topic or at lest would've been if you only used it on a dell,however now you've used the dell COA on an hp,this should get you flagged especially since it has a different mobo that's a major change i would expect to see a re activation warning come up,thats why you are only supposed to have the one key on one machine at any one time,all you needed to do was use the disc then run the xp crack this should then solve activation issues,i'm using one right now on a dell & have installed windows 7 it's fully updated & has no issues going to ms update to get any new ones,thats why i said in the other post grab a copy of xp that is original & not been tampered with & run a crack for whatever service pack is on it.No need to get your dell key flagged

7. aldan

aldan Active member

dont think they care so much about xp anymore scorp.i lost count of how many pcs i used my xp key for.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

How did you do it on one comp in use only at any one time the OP using multiples is asking for a world of hurt gonna be hard to say just changed a bit of faulty hardware when member gets message to ring for support..lol..

9. aldan

aldan Active member

you got a point there.i only ever had it running on two machines at the same time.