1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

patricia nimock sealer making my disks look spotted!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dipsy, Mar 1, 2005.

1. dipsy

dipsy Member

Has anyone out there had a problem with this acrylic sealer on printable disks. I have tried spraying just a tiny bit and making a good cover. Both ways I get a spotty finish when you look at it in the light. My husband says it looks like an orange peal effect (like in cars with a bad paint job). Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea how I can avoid it in the future?
    Thanks a bunch,
    dipsy

2. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Yes I had a similar effect happen to some disks I did as well as dust particles settling on the wet sealant. One remedy is to try the Matt of flat sealent which is allot easier to get a good light coat on the dvd and not show the imperfections of the coat. I tried both the glossy and the matt ....... and if I am going to use either it would be the Matt.

Cheers .....

3. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Shake the can well before spraying!

Using the glossy, the outcome depends on your spraying technique. Believe it or not, it takes a little practice! Short bursts and a sweeping motion, once to the left and once to the right, gives me a light, smooth coat with the glossy. I haven't tried the matte. I like the finished, but not too shiny look. I'd call it more of a "sheen."

As to the level of protection: I put a couple of drops of water directly on the DVD and rubbed it around with my finger. It just beaded up. I am very satisfied with this. Anything more extreme and the DVD deserves whatever damage results!!!

I put my DVD in an AOL junkmail jewel case to spray and let dry. I rest it on the center hub rather than snapping it in so that it stays suspended in case some overspray makes it into the seam surrounding the recessed area.

For $5.00, and resonably being able to protect at least one hundred + DVDs with the 12 ounce can, I give it a 7 on a scale of 1 - 10 with the first couple of applications following the directions on the can. After somewhat mastering the spray technique, a 9!!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005