1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pbook G4 DVD backup problems

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by fullboat2, Feb 11, 2005.

1. iseeyou

iseeyou Guest

Thanks again. Has any one thought of purchasing one of them new dual layer burners? I just wonder how well they perform. I know my superdrives gotta be getting old. But again thanks londor

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I'll try resident evil. Not sure how long it will take to get it.

3. iseeyou

iseeyou Guest

Thanks too all of you for jogging my brain. on the resident evil, and almost forgotton theres a new coding that MTS I guess can remove the ARoccOS data something new. so dvd backup won't work on these. so MTS 2.6.5 works great. Thanks mediguru and londor. 'Semper Fi'

4. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I seem to be having totally intermittent problems. Toast is pretty much not working at all for me. I get a VOB error that says my dvd must be encrypted. I did get popcorn to work once....I thought I'd try it again just to see, and it backed up about 80% of the disc...I am going to try all of this on another mac and see what happens. I have the problem DVD from heII with me now and will try tomorrow morning.

Really appreciate the help from everyone.....

5. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Ok, I give up! I am having problems with two separate computers. I can't figure out why I am having so many problems!!!! I am using MTR (2.6.4), DTOX (1.4.1), and Toast (6.07). Unable to backup and Dvd's. Can rip with MTR or DVD back up fine. Most of the time DTOX works. Toast never does, I end up with "Couldn't complete the last command because there was an I?O error (your disc may be copy protected). Result Code =-36."

I've tried popcorn and even that fast dvd copy trial. None will work for me. I've redone the system 10.3.8. I guess next thing is to reinstall all of my system software? I don't think this is media related, Toast gave me that error trying the save to disc image.

Has anyone out there had this problem where everything is fine and then all of a sudden nothing works? Londor had me redo part of my system and that worked for a bit, but not long, and that fix no longer does it.... Aye carumba!

6. Trier

Trier Member

I have had this:
    "Couldn't complete the last command because there was an I?O error (your disc may be copy protected). Result Code =-36." few times (or similar, can´t remember now).

It occurred when I tried to read the DVD-R via my external reader/burner, so I tried via iMac´s reader, and it worked fine.
    I had one DVD-R that gave me similar error with external, and iMac didn´t even take the disc (I assume it´s because the DVD-R has "label" on it, never use labels, IMO..). I burned that from my work (via "disc utility"), and it worked.

Not much help I guess, but sometimes these burning-issues works in mysterious ways.

95% has been fine for me though, but I guess some readers just don´t like some certain discs or DVD-R media.

OT, but I have used "Verbatim" from the start, and it has been great. Then I used "TDK" one time, and it didn´t play good on my stand-alone DVD-player. If you find a good brand, stick to it, even if it´s not the cheapest one. IMO.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  7. Londor

Londor Guest

Also update your applications:

Toast 6.0.9
    DVD2OneX 1.4.2
    MTR 2.6.5

All are free updates.

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I'd rebuild permissions and perhaps reinstall your applications. Sounds like you need to go through your whole system and softwaare and give it all a tuneup.

9. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Thanks again guys... I'll go through and reinstall everything. This is why I am a mac guy, was never supposed to have to do this stuff! My darn system discs are 2500 miles away til the 10th...Sigh, oh well.....

10. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Don't give up the faith. Your situation is NOT normal.

11. Judy_Long

Judy_Long Member

You might want to upgrade to Toast 6.0.9 as was pointed ut above. That solved a problem I had.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  12. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Ok....It worked! Again! I rebuilt permissions...deleted all my programs and files (DVD related) restarted...rebuilt permissions...loaded all the progs...rebuilt permissions....and voila!

So far have done 2 DVD's and no problems. Working on the 3rd now. Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry it took me so long to respond!