1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC burner firmware coming that allows you to burn 100% of an XGD3 image

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by funksoulb, Oct 11, 2011.

1. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

According to the admin on c4evaspeaks.com anyway. Presumably you'll flash your DVD burner with this firmware and it'll allow you to overburn the discs or something, although I'm only guessing.

There's also a new version of LT+ coming that fixes the Forza 4 LBA hash check problem. (EDIT.. It seems this will no longer be required now as the new burner firmware allows you to burn 100% of the ISO and that passes all of the checks, including the LBA hash check.)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. cooll903

cooll903 Regular member

did they give an ETA on any of this?

3. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

Septebuary 38th (or possibly sooner).

4. cooll903

cooll903 Regular member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

5. bludd

bludd Regular member

just wondering, what would be the advantage of having an 100% burn if it works how it is now?

6. infam0us

infam0us Regular member

yea just use imgburn the newest one

7. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

The way it works now isn't ideal. You're only burning 97% of the ISO to the disc. If a game uses up more than 97% of the available disc space (and MS could intentionally make games do this) then you wouldn't be able to burn and play it. MS are using new security on Forza 4 (LBA hash checks) and that would be easier to combat if the entire ISO was burned to the disc instead of 97% of it, plus you don't know what future anti-piracy measures they'll put in place.

It's obviously better to have 100% of the data from the original disc burned to your DVD+R DL than 97% of it, even if the 97% burns work OK for now (aside from Forza 4 currently).

8. bludd

bludd Regular member

Thank you for the insightful reply.

9. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

No problem. It'll be interesting to see if this works and how it works. I assume you'd need to go out and buy a specific burner as it's an actual burner firmware they appear to be creating, although that's fine with me as they're cheap.

10. whompus

whompus Active member

I would think so as well.

What is interesting to me is I just got around to making a backup of gow3. I used a benq o800 to make the image, and a lg ggw h20L bd burner to write, and it burned 100% no error at end.

11. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

Do you have ImgBurn set to truncate images, or did you choose that option at the beginning of the burn? If so, that's why it burns to 100%, but that's 100% of what will fit on the disc rather than 100% of the ISO itself.

12. whompus

whompus Active member

Yeah I selected truncate. I thought from what I read it would give an error at end of burning to overlook. At any rate there was no error and it plays fine and installs from the disk.

I did this for my sons system that is flashed and was banned. The system is also running a benq with liteon key spoofed to it. It is no longer banned either. I think it fell into the group microsoft unbanned for false ap25 banning, not that the flashing of Lt 20 unbanned it

13. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

OK cool, that's why it doesn't throw up an error then.

Truncate = Telling ImgBurn "burn as much of the ISO as you can fit on the disc", so 100% just means it's burned as much as it can get to fit on the DVD+R DL.

Overburn = Telling ImgBurn "try and burn the entire ISO on the disc, regardless of the disc capacity" and that's why you get the error at 97% as the disc runs out of space.

Either way, the actual burn is the same. It's just easier to use the truncate option as you don't have to click through the various error messages it throws up when you use the overburn option.

14. whompus

whompus Active member

Cool... I thought maybe I missed some new burning mode or something Lightning might have added when I looked over the vast change log with the new version of imgburn.

15. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

Yeah, the truncate option was added in the very latest version, which was presumably done in response to the XGD3 burning issue as I can't really see why else anyone would use that option, haha.

16. whompus

whompus Active member

I am still hoping it is liteon drives c4e is working on firmware for. With me looking at 9 different liteon branded drives and and 5 oem drives that are really liteon drives here in my storage room, odds are if it is liteon, I will already have one. I have always loved liteon pc drives simply because they have been the easiest to mod the firmware in the past.

The reason I collect the liteon drives is because me and a couple friends around here have hacked set top recorders that modded liteon drives work better in then the original drives that came in them. But that is another story for a different area of the forum.

Edit = Whatever the drive is the firmware is now listed as in testing. So shouldn't be to long now before we know what it is.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  17. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

There's still no word on what the supported drive(s) are, but some more info has trickled out.......

You need to enable OPC in ImgBurn when burning using this new method (Tools - Settings... - Write (tab) - Check the box next to "Perform OPC Before Write").

Verbatim MKM-001-00 (2.4X rated) discs can be burned at 2.4X and MKM-003-00 (8X rated) discs can be burned at 2.4X or 4X.

Verbatim are not the only brand of discs supported, but in c4eva's tests they were the only brand that wrote and verified 100%, while other brands failed although he hasn't said exactly which types he's tried.

All of this is good news for me as I've always used Verbatim discs anyway and with my current drive I burn MKM-003-00 discs at 4X so the only thing I need now is the burner and it'll be business as usual.

18. whompus

whompus Active member

Yeah I have had that box checked from like 3 or 4 years ago when lightning added it. I have always preferred a check before writing instead of the way most burning apps do it when writing lead in. If it fails during lead in disk becomes useless.