1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC DVD Region free (locked) need code?

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by psdmc, Feb 13, 2005.

1. psdmc

psdmc Guest

My PC DVD has locked itself to region 1 and no matter what I do, it will not play another region.(IDE DVD ROM 16x). Can anyone suggest how to get it to play multi region.
    I have been using DVDshrink & DVDdecrypyer on my burner, which has been 100%, but I can no longer backup my disc's that are not region 1.
    Can anyone help or point me in the right direction....!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  3. psdmc

psdmc Guest

Hi Nephilim,
    Thanks for the information, but how do I find out what make my DVD is, I have checked in device manager and it tells me (IDE DVD-ROM 16X, driver 01/07/2001, version 5.1.2535.0)but I'm unsure if this tells me the make.
    The SLYSOFT gives me free download and 21 uses, but after that they want £39 (dollars). It would be cheaper to buy a new DVD rom.
    What else would you suggest.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If you could, open your case and get the Make, model number and even the serial number from your drive. You can do a search on the web for information about your DVD-Rom drive to acquire what you are looking for.

5. psdmc

psdmc Guest

Hi ScubaBud, thanks for your reply.
    I have done what you said and have the following,
    Ultima Electronics Corp, DVD-Rom Model DH1-G40. It is locked to region 1 and I would like it region free. Where do I go to get the correct firmware...!

6. psdmc

psdmc Guest

Hi ScubaBud, thanks for your reply.
    I have done what you said and have the following,
    Ultima Electronics Corp, DVD-Rom Model DH1-G40. It is locked to region 1 and I would like it region free. Where do I go to get the correct firmware...!

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The link below will take you to your firmware update site. Just make sure to download the exact version for your exact model. Also make sure you read everything that is required to do this task before attempting it since it might not be reversible causing you to toss this DVD-Rom away.

(http://www.artecusa.com/tech-support-firmware.html)

8. psdmc

psdmc Guest

ScubaBud,
    I have done everything it has asked on the web site, but it does not tell me how to install the firmware. I have tried to up driver etc, but everything I try does not work.
    Do you know how to install the firmware?
    I am using win xp, sp2.
    I do appreciate your help and patience.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Forget about that flash or firmware update. I just read into the zip file and that update is from October 25, 2001. I think it might be time for a new DVD-Rom from Newegg.com or other store. They are like $20 bucks now. Or pay the $40 for AnyDVD to do it's thing for your varied Region media.

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you do go for a new ROM I highly recommend the Lite On 167T. Not only is it arguable the best ROM on the market but it also has great firmware support and a region free utility that doesn't require a hacked firmware. Here's a link to updated firmwares and the RF utility:

http://digi.rpc1.org/rpc.htm

11. psdmc

psdmc Guest

I think I'll go for a new dvd-ron (liteon) thanks for all your help.