1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC DVD's

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Tooslow77, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Tooslow77

Tooslow77 Member

Hi all

I just purchased Company of Heroes and the Half life Orange Box both are PC DVD's. I am just starting to pick up PC gaming again after a brief year and half break. Problem is, is that when I insert the PC DVD my PC's DVD R/RW says "No disc in drive". I have in the distant past watched DVD's on this thing so I know it used to work. So I tried a regular old movie DVD and same thing "No disc in Drive". I went to my device manager and checked all my drivers and I was good there. So then I uninstalled both my CD and DVD-Rom's and restarted my PC, still no change my DVD R/RW is not reading. I did just recently change my power supply and upped my Ram as well, I'm not sure if either of those items could be a colprit to the problem but figured I would mention it. I did tried the game out on my lap top and no problems there, game fires right up. SO I am not real sure what to do next? Buy new DVD R/RW?
    Any trouble shooting tips or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which power supply did you buy? If it's not a very good one it may not be providing sufficient power to the drive for it to read discs.

3. Tooslow77

Tooslow77 Member

I purchased an Antec 650W True Power Trio. You got me thinking though, maybe I have a bad connector so I tried a different one and still same old problem. Thanks for the tip Sammorris I'll keep at it.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What other games have you installed on your PC? The copy protection included with some games will destroy DVD drives after a certain period of time, so that might have happened to you.

5. Tooslow77

Tooslow77 Member

Well I'm not sure what fried my DVD drive but I was able to cannibalize a Drive from my old PC and put that in place of what I currently have. Got it all hooked up and everything thing seems to be working just fine. Hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks again for the tips sammorris.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem, glad I could help.