1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc Format HELP!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by met3460, Apr 14, 2005.

1. met3460

met3460 Member

I am trying to load windows on a computer that once had it before. I am sure all of the parts are ok and compatiable. When i load it it stops after about 1 mimute and says there is an error with a file. I think the hard drive needs to be cleaned. I ran a regular format but no luck. Is there some good software to clean up the drive?

2. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

when loading do you mean installing windows or when windows is starting up??

4. met3460

met3460 Member

When i amloading windows not starting

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check the cd for scratches or smugges that can be washed off. if scratched see if can get another disk. clean the laser lens of the cd/dvd rom drive or try another drive. was the hd partitioned & formated??

6. met3460

met3460 Member

Yea i tried a series of dofferent formats. The free version of kill disc, windows format, wd utilities. When i try to load xp it will sometimes make it to where it says at the bottom of the blue screen "setup is starting windows" and then freeze. Other times it will stop halfway and get the bad blue screen. Then i tried to load Win. 98, same problem. I would get error messages telling me to restart the comp. I tried switching ram, cd drives, and dont see how it could be the hard drive.