1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC HDD.

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by dave1111, Apr 19, 2005.

1. dave1111

dave1111 Member

Installed a game from ps2 HDD to PC HDD (by accident)and have knackered pc hdd.
    PC hdd will no longer boot up.
    I have taken out pc hdd and put it in usb enclosure - and it is not recognised by win xp.

How can I rescue my pc hdd.
    Thanks

admin2002@xsmail.com

2. dave1111

dave1111 Member

anyone got any ideas

3. williej

williej Regular member

can you put the HD into another pc? Was this HD in a PS2? If so, and it was formatted in your PS2, your PC won't boot it or even see it. You need to get WinHIIP or PS2handiness (google them) and see if you can see the HD. In normal mode, you more than likely won't even see your HDD under XP.

4. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

no offense but you do realize that the hard drive for the ps2 is just a seagate barracuda 5200 series 40 gig hard drive

5. williej

williej Regular member

no, i have one and my pc recognizes it as a maxtor. (it has been in my pc for at least 2 months, btw) Maybe my PC is just on crack, but it looks like a seagate (I have a 300gb one too, but that stays in my PS2) but I know for a fact the official Sony HDD has special firmware making it viewable in a PS2 browser and able to save game saves (like a huge memory card) and download SOCOM II maps. You can't do that with any other HDs on the market.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  6. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

yes you can it's called firmware transfer you can transfer the firmware from one drive to another drive of the same make and it will work that is what my freind did for mine and im using just a regular seagate barracuda 40 gig hard drive reflashed firmware to support the ps2

7. Yassagani

Yassagani Guest

Williej

Is is not a firmware issue that makes the Sony Hardrive viewable in the Sony Browser. In fact provided that you have a NTSC PS2 and the Sony Hard disk utilites disc you can make your addon Hard Drive viewable in the PS2 browser. This Sony Hard Disc utilites disc has a browser update that makes any hard drive connected to the PS2 viewable. However their is a catch- This disc was only released by Sony for the NTSC PS2' along with Final Fantasy and their official Hard drive. PAL PS2's never got the Sony Hard Drive Packages and Final Fantasy. Opps and I forgot a modchip that provides Atad patching is also needed. But the only thing is- You can't go online with it as the modchip needs to be turned off, and hence when the modchip is off- so is the atip patching that is needed to view the Harddrive in the browser.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2005
  8. williej

williej Regular member

I had the utility disc - flipped it on ebay as a matter of fact. I used it on my Seagate 300gb and it said 'no hard drive present.' And of course, I will never mod my PS2 - Sony will fix your junk if it's not modded ... and I had the disc and never saw anything talking about a browser update. I still have my official Sony HDD, btw ... Maybe you can transfer the firmware Sony has on the HDD, but seeming you can't even see the HDD in a pc, maybe if you mirror it with Ghost, but I just find that hard to believe and doubtful. I would have to see the actual HD go into the PS2 and seen in the browser in order for me to believe. Call me 'Doubting Thomas,' but I just can't see that happening.

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  9. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

because you need to format it first, to be recognized by your os.

Right-click on 'my computer', 'manage', 'disk management'.