1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC image doesn't fit on HDTV

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by txstang, Oct 8, 2004.

1. txstang

txstang Member

I bought a video card with TV out (GeForce FX nVidia 5200 model:pro/680TV/DVI) to connect to my 30" widescreen HDTV. I'm using the s-video out/in. The problem is that the PC picture doesn't fit on the 30" screen. I've tried every kind of setting I could think of. The resolution just shrinks the entire image and makes it impossible to see when it fits, and enlarges it beyond the boundries of the TV, where as the monitor resolution changes are contained within the monitior. I tried TVtool and that didn't work. What do I need to do to get the TV working just like the monitor. I would like to be able to view web pages without squinting or enlarging them so big that I have to scroll throught the TV to get to different parts of the screen.

2. insgn

insgn Member

I am having the same problem. I found a resolution that works well on my 26 in Samsung HDTV, but the screen scrolling is very annoying.

3. txstang

txstang Member

Same here I found a res. that works well but scrolling sux. There has to be another better way! Any help out there?

4. dagnasty

dagnasty Member

search for a program called POWERSTRIP. It allows custom timings and resolutions.

5. txstang

txstang Member

I've tried powerstrip and TVtool, they didn't work form me. Any other ideas? Thanks.

6. mooglez

mooglez Regular member

first thing: don't use svideo to connect. use either dvi or vga.

then select either 1280*720 or 1920*1080 as the resolution, depending on the capabilities of your hdtv.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  7. devel

devel Member

Yeah, i'm going to have to agree. I'm using a 30" samsung HDTV for my monitor as well and you definitely don't want to use an S-Video connection. Unfortunately my HDTV doesnt have a DVI input, but I bought an ATI video card along with an ATI VGA to Component adapter which allows me to display the image from my PC in a much higher definition that an S-Video connection would allow. I currently have my resolution set at 856x480 (my HDTV doesnt support 720P) and it looks very nice. I also switch it over to 1920x1080 when watching Divx and that looks incredible.

8. txstang

txstang Member

I have a DVI out from my video card, but my TV uses an HDMI in. There are DVI to HDMI adapters, but I was told that computer monitor DVI's are different that HDTV DVI's. Initially what I wanted to do was use a DVI to HDMI cable, but it seems that TV DVI's and PC DVI's have different pin configurations. My Toshiba supports both 720P and 1080i so I would love to take advatage of this through the very few HD-DVD's that are out there and only play on a DVD-ROM drive, to see what it looks like on the 30". Would I be able to use the DVI out and HDMI in configuration? The only reason I'm using S-video is because I had an S-video cable laying around and I read on some website that there are several different DVI's.

9. mooglez

mooglez Regular member

all the Plasma & lcd tv's that we have at our store are fed straight by computers with either dvi or vga cable. (Samsung, Viewsonic, LG, Palladine, Philips)

you can also use a dvi to vga adapter, incase your tv would accept that.

10. txstang

txstang Member

Well the thing is that TV DVI's are different than PC DVI's; different pin configuration. TV DVI's have an HDCP copyright protection built in that makes them incompatible with PC DVI's. The early DVI's didn't have this HDCP since they came from the PC world. So it's sketchy on whether the DVI will just connect straight to the TV (HD tube TV) with no problems.

11. txstang

txstang Member

Plasmas and LCD's even some DLP's and LCD projections have VGA's for straight computer connections to get rid of the very problems i'm having. There are some tv's with both DVI and VGA, the DVI for HD and VGA from PC, which leads me to believe that DVI will not connect straight to TV.

12. mooglez

mooglez Regular member

HDCP enabled display devices do accept signals from non HDCP source.

there's a 5 page thread about HDCP here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=394434

HDCP works the otherway around.

if your DVD/BluRay drive uses HDCP, then it will not output a digital signal to non HDCP device, you're stuck with the analog outs.

13. dagnasty

dagnasty Member

i didnt realize you were running into the TV via Svid input therefore Powerstrip wouldnt work.

To be honest, if youre using the svid input, having an HDTV doesnt benefit you since youre not taking advantage of its capabilities of high res display. Almost similar to having a dolby 7.1 receiver with all the ells and whistles BUT still running your source into it via red/white rca cables.

Get a simple vga--->component converter from CompUSA. Its not cheap, but then again, neither was your TV.

14. txstang

txstang Member

Well I'm planning on buying an HDMI cable and the HDMI/DVI adapter for my PC. Does anyone know if this will work...from experience or in theory?

15. vboy425

vboy425 Member

I NEED help. I have a 30 inches HD LCD TV from Philips. i have the dvi to hdmi cable. i couldn't get it to work in single display mode in windows xp under nvidia forceware driver. but when i set to dual screen and clone mode it work. i just wanted to use the 30 inches lcd only. it's connected from my geofrce 5900 ultra DVI to my HDMI connector LCD TV. help please

16. SamJ

SamJ Member

I too have an nVidia 5200 on a Dell Dimension 8300 running XP pro. I connected the DVI output to the HDMI input my Sony KV36HS420 TV with a Monster DVI-to-HDMI cable. Well, it sort of works. The computer recognized the TV, but the only allowed resolution in the Display control panel is 640x480. It's fine for playing DVDs and the text is actually viewable from the couch, but there are games that refuse to run on 640x480.

The TV supposedly can handle 480p, 720p and 1080i. I would like to be able to run at a higher resolution. I've read from else where that SONY doesn't recommend connecting their TV to a computer's DVI out. But I've gotten this far...

Any suggestions?

17. bajtra

bajtra Member

The latest nvidia drivers have much better hdtv handling. when you plug the dvi cable in and boot up it should recognize your tv as an lcd monitor. You may need to uncheck the settings box that says Show only safe resolutions or similar. You can then change your resolution to which one you like best. Stick with the standard ones. If you choose one your tv can't handle you'll need to restart the pc to get your picture back. It'll default back to 640x480.