1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC keeps shutting off

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pazzini, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pazzini

pazzini Guest

Since yesterday one my PC's keeps shutting itself off and I am at a loss to why this is happening.

This particular machine is used for Internet and the occasional movie encoding through DVD rebuilder Pro.

The spec is a Intel P4 3.2 processor (not overclocked)
    1 gig of DDR 400 Crucial ram
    160GB Western digital HDD
    Radeon 128mb 9800pro graphics card
    300 watt PSU
    Artic freezer pro HSF
    Windows XP Home edition SP2

There is no dust in the machine as I keep all my machines clean.

I have got the machine temperatures as this was an obvious reason to why it would shut down.

CPU temp: avg 59-63c but for no reason jumps to 78c+ even though the machine is in not being used. (which is very concerning)

Case temp: avg 27-30c

HDD temp: 50c but have seen it go much higher. (which also concerns me)

In the Bios I have set the machine to turn off when the CPU temp reaches 85c.
    I do not think this is a temperature issue although they do seem to be on the high side. I came to this conclusion due to turning of my machine for 12 hours so it could cool down, but when I turned it on the same thing happened when loading windows.

I have ran spyware and anti-virus tests but I am clean (used AVG free 7.5, AVG anti-spyware & spybot S&D.) Spyware blaster is always on.

Thankyou for any suggestions and do not hesitate to ask for any more info.

Cheers

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think it is a heat problem as you shouldn't be that high. check that the heatsink is properly seated as is possible 1 post of the 4 might have popped causing the heatsink not to seat properly.

3. pazzini

pazzini Guest

Thanks for the reply DDP you were correct one of the pins was not set properly and the cpu is now chilling at 32c. thanks again m8, appreciated. ;-)

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem, teach & learn