1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc lock up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nate2005, Jul 29, 2008.

1. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok how exatcly do i do this? I know that may sound like a stupid question and all but where do i hit custom?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I can only go by what xp will show at windows update since i don't have vista,but yeah the optional updates your seeing is what i'm referring to even tho our interfaces are different.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

OK i assume your clicking on the WINDOWS UPDATE icon in your start menu or whatever,that should bring a webpage up i normally see to buttons to clik,custom is what i use

4. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

so those optional updates im taking about is the custom updates in vista? If this is so than the only optional updates I have is my graphics card on the pc that is all that shows up under optional.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Assuming your web browser is open & your at windows update then yes,so it would seem then there are no drivers that sux

6. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

yes that does suck! So Sophocles, Scorp or anyone else that is helping me on this issue what do you guys suggest now??

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'm at a loss to what else should be done apart from paying someone to fix or starting a thread at techrepublic,pcmechanic or pc world

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

9. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

yeah i tried all of those and it says the update does not apply to my system??

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There is one other option if they're reasonable they'll be able to tell you,ring those tossers at hp find out if you have an approved hp repair company near by,get the phone number & pick their brains to see if they know where you can get drivers for the USB card reader actually no just say the usb's are'nt working as they should with a short descript of what's happ'n & see if they'll help,you'll need model number,the OS on it & perhaps the mobo manufacturer but chances are it'll just be model & OS,it would'nt hurt to uninstall all the usb's again & reboot just to make sure,you'll need any external devices removed that may have been left attached

EDIT: Christ man ! asus websites under maintainence,they could also be an option to contact for driver help,yeah i realise you've most probably been to see if any downloads are there but the help desk may already have queries for your issue

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  11. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ive unistalled the usb like 10 times lol ill try that tommorow and see if i get anywhere that way

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

yeah i just mentioned that as the help people on the phone will ask the basics,i added more to my post above yours,you could also contact microsoft & see what they say as i'm not sure if it's an OS issue or hardware,it's strange as hp usually have the drivers for download but i'm stuffed if i can find em

PS: The computer has a label saying "vista capable" ?? if not you may not be able to get usb drivers unless you use say perhaps a later mobo (not install it just use it's drivers it can't doing anything worse,although it'll need to be correct bit rate i.e 32 or 64),yep i'm really reaching now..lol..

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Just seen a picture of the comp in question there's no "vista capable" label,that means it's like mine,it'd 50/50 if i'd get the dam thing to work,tho usb drivers are all standardised.

14. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

yea i dont know if it has the vista capable sticker, yea i might try that aswell

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I suspect it won't there's only an xp driver download at hp for that model

16. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

yea its not, but i had vista on that pc before without issuses thats what has me all puzzled about this whole situation.

17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Then did you do an upgrade the last time vista was on it as it would keep the drivers ?? ,i've had occasions where i've installed xp & for whatever reason it did'nt go well & ended up doing another reformat,the only thing left if that don't work is a shotgun.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nate

Something has gotten corrupted with your current installation and I think that Scorp has made the best suggestion. Start over with a fresh install, it has got to take less time than pecking at an illusive answer that might not be forthcoming.

19. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

well the pc origanlly came with xp and i got a copy of vista from my class at school. So I installed it on the pc and i had it for about 6 months got rid of due to my graphics card i have had issues with vista. Than i reinstalled xp back on that pc and kept it on that pc for good. If that info helps out any. I think i will try to reinstall the os and see what happens... now when i do a reinstall of vista should i delte everything as in all partitons?

20. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Basicly you need to replicate the install you did when vista ran ok,the question is if xp was upgraded by the vista disk or whether it was a clean install,it would be good too if the vista install gives you the option to connect to the net & try to get updates before it's fully completed the install as it may get the drivers that way,but i don't know if it has that option.At this stage it's trial & error