1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc not booting up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by noobz, Jul 16, 2007.

1. noobz

noobz Guest

hi, my desktop was just running fine and now i turned it on this morning and now it is not lighting up the front lights and only thing that is turning on is the fan on my vid card. something is majorly wrong. nothing is lighting up!. thanks to everyone that helps.

anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it happened all of a sudden, your motherboard may be screwed. What brand is it?

3. noobz

noobz Guest

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it under the HP warranty? I'd recommend taking it back to them. There's nothing I can think of that would cause that problem other than a motherboard failure.

5. noobz

noobz Guest

can it be a psu failure? and no it is not under waranty.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol you'd hope so, that being easier to replace, but I doubt it. If the front lights aren't coming on, there's something more serious that's happened.

7. noobz

noobz Guest

well now that it is not under waranty what should i do?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Replace the motherboard... :S

9. noobz

noobz Guest

lol i do not know how to do that is that hard? i am soo sorry i am a newbie and not too experienced with computers. should i just take it to store or call hp and see if they can replace the computer for a fee

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you're not experienced with working inside computers, get someone else to do it, changing motherboard is one of the most complex procedures of all. Shop around and tell them you want the motherboard replaced (don't ask them to tell you what's wrong with the PC because they'll charge you a fortune for finding out - if the problem's the motherboard which I think it is, that'll be fixed by them replacing it, if the problem isn't the motherboard, when they test it after changing the motherboard the real problem will become apparent and they'll tell you what to do next). Don't just go to the first shop and ask to have it done, find the best deal. Some people are out there just to rip you off.

11. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Its not always the motherboard. And you better hope that its not the psu because it couldve fried other things with it. Open the case and see if their is any LED's lighted on the motherboard.

12. noobz

noobz Guest

ok all i see is that my fan on the computer's vid card is on and nothing else

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not even the fan for the CPU? Interesting.

14. noobz

noobz Guest

15. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Try clearing your CMOS by taking out the battery for about 5 minutes and putting it back in. You may get lucky.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Do you have any fans that you can plug straight into the power supply (the large 4 pin connectors)? If so, try one, if it doesn't power up, it could indeed be the power supply. That could be good, could be bad. If you're not replacing it yourself, it's mostly bad because it won't save you time, and it certainly won't save you money.

17. noobz

noobz Guest

k no fans that are directly conected to psu. waiting for 5 minutes to clear cmos.......

EDIT:
    another thing i noticed that my harddrive is not running when i power it on either.

EDIT:
    and clearing the cmos did not help either.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Can you unplug the data cable from the hard disk and leave the power cable attached, then power up the PC. If it doesn't spin up then we know the power supply is at fault.

19. noobz

noobz Guest

wait hd now runing

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So it spins up when you remove the data cable, but not when it's attached?