1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc not working

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bagpuss69, Mar 30, 2007.

1. bagpuss69

bagpuss69 Guest

I have a pc that does not seem to be powering up, when i plug the power lead into the psu the cpu fan and the case fan starts straight away but when i press the power button on the pc i get nothing no hdd light, no keyboard lights and no post nothing at all onscreen, please could someone help as i am going crazy. why are the fans starting when i havent even pressed the power button?
    thanks in advance

2. haza12d

haza12d Regular member

What are the specs on your machine? Did you build this yourself? If so, check connections from PSU to your mobo... if not, try another PSU and see if that does the trick. If not, process of elimination. Good Luck =)

3. bagpuss69

bagpuss69 Guest

I did'nt build it i just put cpu,memory, optical drive and hdd in

MSI mPC mega 800k (Barebones)
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ cpu
    2x512 mb ram (DDR 266)
    20gb hdd
    phillips cr-rw drive
    onboard sound and graphics, but has agp slot

it uses a micro psu not sure what size but think it is only about 230

thanks

4. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

haza12d, may be on to something. can you give us the make of that power supply unit. PSU's are the backnbone of any system and if its bad you'll have all kinds of issues.

I also would say make sure your power connections are correct to your motherboard. No posting is troubling.

5. bagpuss69

bagpuss69 Guest

6. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

I am concerned that you're not even posting. How old is your PC? Is it still under warrenty? If it is I strongly suggest returning it for diagnostics and repair if needed.

Also, I never heard of that power supply before and 250 watts may be underpowered. is this a microsystem as a whole?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  7. bagpuss69

bagpuss69 Guest

Yes this pc is a sff system, i am beginning to think i may have a damaged bios chip

thanks

8. haza12d

haza12d Regular member

OK, start from scratch. Remove/disconnect everything from power lines to HD/CD Drives, and memory. Then start putting it back together to see where the fault is. I'm thinking its a bad PSU or one that is improperly connected to the mobo.

9. bagpuss69

bagpuss69 Guest

All i have plugged in is the 20 pin and 4 pin connections from the power supply, the case fan and the cpu fan and still the same, fans start,nothing else maybe i should get a pci diagnostics card
    thanks

10. bagpuss69

bagpuss69 Guest

I have just tried a different power supply and still the same results

this is really confusing me

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check the can shaped objects on the motherboard which are capacitors. make certain they are flat topped & not domed. try clearing the cmos as have found that to work sometimes to kickstart a system.