1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC plays MPEG and DIVX but wont play AVI's

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Ben-Jamin, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Ben-Jamin

Ben-Jamin Member

Hello All,

I hope you can help with with this problem. I am unable to play Any AVI or XVID files on my PC right now. I can play anyother format like DIVX, MPEG etc. Everything was working fine but then I downloaded an old version TMPGenc to make a file and then after i did that none of my AVI files will play on any of my players. I reinstalled Windows Media 10 and downloaded the XVID codec but still the same problem. I really have no idea whats wrong. any thought? thanks.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

.divx is just an extension of avi. What exactly do you mean by XviD files? raw .xvid/mp4v? XviD is just a video codec to be used for movies, etc. it requires a container such as avi and avi's can contain numerous types of video and audio streams.

3. Ben-Jamin

Ben-Jamin Member

ok sorry if I wasn't clear I'm pretty new to this stuff. I cannot play any AVI files now on my PC. MPEG files play fine but whenever I try to open a file with a AVI extension in Windows Media Player or Real Player all I see is a black screen and it just says seeking in the information bar. These files worked fine before. I just don't understand why they don't work now.