1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC powering down & not starting properly?????

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pmb2k, Dec 27, 2004.

1. pmb2k

pmb2k Member

Hi Guys....hows things going, ok then lets see if anyone has an idea on this topic cos its got me confused...

I recently had problems with my PC, the problem that it was shutting down the PC completely without warning saying that Windows was going on standvy, when this happened, the l.e.d on my case was flashing, so i thought this is wierd. I even reinstalled XP back on and incase it was my hard drive (which it wasnt) it was doing the same thing again. It wouldnt even finish the re-installation of XP back on.

So i thought it could be my board, so i took it into work & the tech guy said, yep the power regulator on the mobo is dead, so i bought a new mobo. When getting this home & firing up, it wouldnt start up properly, so i was guessing then it could be my power switch on the case. I even took that out & then was able to touch the contact ok from then. On & off it would start up ok but its still doing same thing by sometimes shutting down.

Im now thinkin it could be my psu which is 550w but surely thats able to take the amount of power thru wot i have on it. When i tried recently to plug a usb camcorder in, it completely shut down?

Any ideas? it aint my processor for a start and the mobo is new

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think it is psu especially when camcorder is plugged in.

3. pmb2k

pmb2k Member

Hmm yeah could be, although ive only had the psu which is a q-tec 550w psu about 4-5mths, so not very long. Just wondering whether to get a higher psu, like a 650w to see if it will make a difference. The funny thing is that whenever i tried to switch on any of my usb products on, the system would just power down.

Sometimes it will do that anyway randomly as well, my PC is free of virus and spyware, adware, trojans everything. Have checked both hard drives and are fine too, the mobo is brand new & theres nowt wrong with the processor.

Had a feeling it might have been the amount of power usage in my room but this current setup has been working for yrs now and i dont think its that either. Will only find out if it is the psu today when i get a new one from work, will let u know anyway.....

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I've never heard of q-tec but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. 550w should be plenty enough to run just about anything you can throw at it, if and this is a big if... it is true watts. Maybe someone who is more familiar with q-tec could give an evaluation of the true wattage their PSUs supply.

I'd agree with ddp there and say it's the PSU, though. Although unless you're running an insane amount of hardware I don't see how it could be your PSU. This of course assumes that q-tec are good PSUs though.

Personally I run everything in my signature with a 300w Sparkle PSU. Only time I get problems is in extreme overclocking conditions.

Next time you do get a power supply instead of going with the biggest wattage you see go with a recommended name. Some good PSU makers are: Fortron, Antec, Enermax, etc... Look for reviews wherever you're shopping.

5. wild77

wild77 Guest

6. pmb2k

pmb2k Member

Hi guys..

The problem WAS the psu believe it or not, as soon as i replaced it with another Q-Tec which was a 650w now instead of the normal 550w i had earlier, it powered on straight away and no probs as of yet. I spoke to one of the lads at work and he said that Q-Tec dont normally have a true representation of their wattage, so i think when i get the time to get a new psu, i will get a good branded name like the ones mentioned in this topic....cheers guys for your support anyway and to the forum

7. pmb2k

pmb2k Member

The PC was built with new mobo, processor and ram at the time but i aint gonna buy a psu tester when i can get a new psu free of charge from work, hehe the perks eh, great

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn