1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Problem ........

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MannyF38, Oct 24, 2004.

1. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Do you get any beeps? I hate to ask but double check the monitor.

Leaving Cmos battery out should clear any oc settings. You may have damaged the ram. Try another stick.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

more than likely if the cpu not fried than the bios is screwed. is possible to reflash bios if it will fit on the computer you are using to get here.

3. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

i tryed a diferent stick of memory , same problem diferent video card , monitor everything is in fine.. speaker is connected in right no beeps, am goin to try the cpu in a diferent motherboard in a few minutes and let u know how that goes, about flashing the bios umm u mean take my bios and put it in anotherboard 2 flash it ? how would that work ? thx for helping me guys

4. ddp

check both good & bad boards to see if bios chips are identical in dimensions whether square or retangular, also check if both bios chips are removable

5. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

If the CPU swapping doesn't work,try this before you start ripping chips out of the boards.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm

You know MannyF38,It's times like this that a POST Dagnostic Card comes in handy. I have 2 and one was $24us on E-Bay.

DDP if the first board's chip is bad how would it help you by putting a bad chip in a good board. You still wouldn't pass POST. Right?

6. ddp

ianski7 have you flash bioses before because i have a # of times. we have to find out if his bios chips are same size physical before the next stage because if they are different we might be dead in the water so be patient & we'll see what happens next

7. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Yes ddp I have............and I am quaking with anticipation!

8. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

ok... my cpu and ram are fine am running on them right now i installed an older gigabyte board i had laying around and it booted right up processor ,ram and videocard is fine...now what should i do about my board lol i jsut got it like a month ago "DFI NFII infinity" am sure theres something i can try or do 2 try and fix it...or things i can try

9. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

umm no the gigabyte board has dual bios and canot be removed and on the DFI it can be removed but it dosent do me any good bcuz i can't find someone with the same board the closest i can get is my buddy which has the same board but for P4's but i don't see how putting a bad bios someowhere in another motherboard make any diference then being on the same motherboard 2 begin with ?

10. Molder

Molder Regular member

MannyF38,
    Mate I remember reading somewhere taht yo can short out the chip (not for the faint hearted I remember reading) it was specific pin numbers (pin to pin) that would reset the bios.

Where I read that I can't begin to remember.

I'll have a delve around.

M

11. Molder

Molder Regular member

MannyF38,
    I just found a post in a forum, it sort of said the board is unreliable, that may give you an opportunity to return the board and either get a new one or a different brand.

www.forums.devhardware.com/t16381/s.html

M

12. ddp

reason for good board that has same style of bios is to boot up on floppy, pull good bios chip off then replace with bad bios(hopefully not fried) use a flash program with bios update to reprogram bad bios. put now new back into bad board, power up & hopefully works alright

13. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

Well i email DFI tech support and said i have 2 options this is waht they said...

"1. RMA the board to the place from which you purchased it.

2.Remove bios chip from motherboard and pack appropriately and include in the package your full return address and phone number and the "precise" name of board as seen 'when' downloading a bios and the Techs in CA will reflash your corrupt bios chip and return to you."

now i think am goin to go with the second one and am goin to send them the bios chip....but am hoping this solves the problem which it sohuld right ? what do you guys think ?

14. ddp

we won't know til bios comes back & you start up computer. might be faster taking board back to store for replacement, don't tell them the whole story just that you put cpu in board & won't post. take your ram, video card & cpu with you so that you see board post with your stuff

15. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

i bought it online so either way i think it will take the same amount of time...i email them back and ia sked them howl ong do they think the whole procedure would take and wating for a reply..am probably goin to mail it monday so i cab get it back as soon as possible also i was looking trough other forum and i seen alot of people having corupted bios on the DFI infinity...

http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-325031.html

Talks about it....

16. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

this is what the said about how long it would take and i think its pretty damn quick so i think am gonna go for that...

" Manny, internal turn-around time in CA. has been as short as a day and under normal circumstances they two day Fedex it back. "

17. ddp

go for it then, let us know what happens

18. ddp

did you read about the crushed components in the dfi report. look at yours & see if any small!!! components are crushed if board installed in case

19. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

ummm everything looks fine....do you have that link with you ? ... thx for all ur help btw....

20. ddp

that link is from your yesterday 4:40pm? post

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004