1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC reboots or freezes when using DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Kams, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Kams

Kams Member

I am having this problem with DVD Shrink, everytime I try and encode movies, my PC reboots or my desktop including the mouse cursor just freezes.

I thought this might have been caused by the memory latency settings or bad/old drivers, so I installed the latest drivers for my video card/DVD drive and motherboard.

I updated the BIOS and changed the latency settings according to Corsairs recommended settings. I also thought this might be caused by CPU overheating so I've installed a Thermal Take Silent Tower CPU cooler with Heatsink/heatpipes and 90mm fan recently. I have 2 80mm fans, one's blowing air out and other blowing air in.

I still can't figure out why the PC reboots or freezes while I'm using DVD shrink. I am using:

Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro-G motherboard
    Corsair 2x512 XMS TWINX3200C2PT, Dual Channel
    Pentium 4 3.2 CPU
    ATI Radeon 9200 128MB Graphics Card
    Pioneer DVR 108 DVD Drive

Has anyone else had the same or similar problems with DVD Shrink and can someone pleeaassee tell me how I can fix this problem.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Just for giggles and grins you may want to install MotherBoard Monitor and watch your CPU temps as the encoding progresses. This way we can determine with certainty whether heat is an issue or not :)

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

3. Kams

Kams Member

I have installed Motherboard Moniter and my CPU temp is normally 45C and when encoding it goes upto 55C. My case temp is showing as 25C, this temp doesn't seem to change, even if I leave the case open.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

So the CPU is at 55ÂșC when it reboots or did it not reboot that time around? I'm interested to see what the temp is when it reboots.

5. Kams

Kams Member

The most it goes upto is 57C mostly around 70% into the encoding process. After it reboots and when I log back on the temp starts to go back down slowly to 40C